Moderator standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reported a post of mine to get it locked, said something like "please lock, these people will argue with their own shadow", that was rejected because the mod is a petty individual. The comment with the rejected thing:
HiddenMod said:
Dissociative identity disorder? You're arguing with yourself and reporting yourself for doing so.
The response doesn't make that much sense so I assume English the mod's second language.

It did make me wonder, aren't the mods supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard?

The response doesn't make that much sense so I assume English the mod's second language.
I don't see how you come to this conclusion - or why this would even be relevant. If somebody gets appointed a moderator on this forum, it's fair to assume that their English skills are more than sufficient.
The quote you post also wouldn't immediately indicate any issue with English as a language of communication.
English is my 3rd language (or 4th depending on how you'd look at it). Yet I doubt that anybody on this forum would reject me from becoming a moderator because of this.

It did make me wonder, aren't the mods supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard?
I leave dissecting this statement to others - not my style. However, this does also not mean that a moderator has to act upon every request the way the requester desires. Everybody has their own point of view. Moderators are most likely expected to follow the forum rules. As long as the rules are not broken, moderators should not intervene.

In any case, to get to the actual issue at hand: I assume that you're free (and probably welcome) to get in touch with an alternative moderator/admin to double-check/cross-reference this. Unfortunately, you're not providing a link to the topic/thread in question but I have a good guess which one you're talking about. While I don't have everything on my memory right now I don't recall any forum rules being broken (I can be very wrong there - currently on lunch break).
Personally, I certainly don't see a reason to ask for locking a thread/topic because people start arguing about something as long as it is within the forum rules. I fully understand that off-topic and endless arguging is a problem but everybody is free to ignore that (or contribute to it in a constructive manner).
If you think that you can't handle certain individuals (I am not judging at all) but moderators/admins won't do anything about it because no rules are being broken, you can always just put those individuals on your personal ignore list which will prevent their posts from showing up.

It's already out in the open, tux2bsd posted his complaint in public. If he wanted this handled in private he could have used the contact form or the forum admin email address. There was nothing wrong with the thread, so no reason to lock it, hence the request was rejected.

There are edit and even delete buttons for a reason. Reporting yourself doesn't make any sense and is a form of attention seeking.

It's already out in the open, tux2bsd posted his complaint in public. If he wanted this handled in private he could have used the contact form or the forum admin email address. There was nothing wrong with the thread, so no reason to lock it, hence the request was rejected.
I am just speaking in general, because normally not much good ever comes from this type of discusssion; the OP most of the times feelds being mistreated at large, and wants to vent some steam. And most of the time nothing the mods, in case if contributing, might say will defuse the anger, probably just fuel it even more.

Most forums have a rule like "mod decisions will not discussed in the public" in place for very good reason
For this to work well, you need well thought-of guidelines and mods acting responsibly "in the background", only acting when really necessary and doing so (as much as possible) in private. Not all forums have that. But it seems to work pretty well on this particular forum, so I'd be all in favor of such a rule. After all, you can always use a private message if you think there's something to discuss. This thread is just useless noise.

I have a simple take on all of this, and it applies to this forum just as much as it applies to a place like Steam: "Those who complain the most about moderation also need it the most themselves". Even without knowing any details that's what I'm going for.

I have a simple take on all of this, and it applies to this forum just as much as it applies to a place like Steam: "Those who complain the most about moderation also need it the most themselves". Even without knowing any details that's what I'm going for.
Ah well, there are places on the web where mods think their "special powers" are a convenient way to silence ppl disagreeing with them, so complaining publicly might be self-defense – OTOH, just leaving these places would be the better choice I guess :cool:

Fortunately, that's NOT an issue here 👍
(Especially SirDice is doing great work content-wise, like any member could… I'd say his patience with ppl not even reading manuals is legendary)

I reported a post of mine to get it locked, said something like "please lock, these people will argue with their own shadow", that was rejected because the mod is a petty individual. The comment with the rejected thing:

HiddenMod said:

Dissociative identity disorder? You're arguing with yourself and reporting yourself for doing so.

That's not a Staff Member Moderator like those of Myth that dwell atop Misty Mountain Hop in Marble Mansions and gaze down upon us with Mercy and Mindfull to bring us back in line should we wander from the path of Rightnousness. As you would a wayward child you cared for.

Deity Danger has a special Totem that I might not become lax, to stay vigil so as not to be overcome by Demon influence. That it should not be said I was suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder, lest my Demon convince me to rest and sleep and let him handle things

It is but a HiddenMod, or MaybeMod. A mere mortal metered a modicum of Moderator's Mythic might to see if they possess the wisdom and judgement to be revealed as the newest Moderator to their former peers. If they jump around like a Mexican Jumping Bean on Meth and make a mess of things they can return to their former position with the only punishment inflicted on themselves the torment felt in their failure, if any.

My post in response to some blithering idiots idea of removing ee from the base system in a post to the Editor Thread got moved for being off topic, by MaybeMod. The poster I replied to was off topic, I brought attention to and addressed their idiocy publicly in answer to their Mongoloid Musing of removing ee in that thread and finished my post out on topic by which editor I preferred. But I said so and made that perfectly clear for everyone. It grew worse as rats poured in, but I handled it myself.

They are wrong in the use of the term Dissociative Identity Disorder as a diagnosis. To formally diagnose you as such is demeaning and confrontational in nature, which I would be compelled to make a response to.

It's not me, I know what it is and I'm not Mod material. My only friend has 3 distinct personalities. One is a youg boy who adores me, one is like me and easy to get along with, the other resents me and is hard to deal with so I just wait him out.

I've seen them all and it's nothing like the crazy talk I do for entertainment purposes or that jazz I worked in here. I'm the only person who isn't afraid of him but I would not disrespect him like that.

For it to be done here is crass. lacks forethought and empathy for any readers that suffers from a Developmental Disability or Mental Illness Because I will address that behavior myself if I see it so you can see what it feels like.

Moderators have always shown me liberal latitude and I try keep myself in check. But they will not hesitate to correct me when I'm in need of it, I have no complaints and I have always been treated fairly.

But keep looking. that's a bad sign early on and they are not what you're looking for in a Mod. Neither am I, but you can take my word on that.

In hindsight I should not have reported my thread, that the thread was locked or not was never the issue.

Instead of simply providing no reason or simply stating the thread was OK there was an attempted direct insult via hidden private communication from an anonymous moderator.

Considering the half-story provided, this doesn't really rise to the level of grievous offense under Rule #2, IMO. Impinging on the motivations of the people in the thread, demanded an end to their fun, so the mod replied in kind. That seems to be demanding more respect from people than what was given out to others.

That seems to be demanding more respect from people than what was given out to others.
I'm afraid their expectations were set excessively high. Brutal honesty and a little artistic license in writing was the best I could do and what I deemed appropriate.

I should be charging by the hour when I write and am, at times, tempted to shorten my other messages to 4 capital letters to get my point across.

I have a graphic prepared and waiting at my digression and that one picture needs no words to speak. No charge.

Considering the half-story provided, this doesn't really rise to the level of grievous offense under Rule #2, IMO. Impinging on the motivations of the people in the thread, demanded an end to their fun, so the mod replied in kind. That seems to be demanding more respect from people than what was given out to others.
What half story? I think so far you might be the only one citing rules. You're making assumptions, the thread was nearly dried up anyway. The point is in this: "attempted direct insult via hidden private communication from an anonymous moderator", if it wasn't hidden and anonymous I wouldn't care (and I don't care that much).

For this to work well, you need well thought-of guidelines and mods acting responsibly "in the background", only acting when really necessary and doing so (as much as possible) in private. Not all forums have that.
That's right. If you look at Demonica's site you'll find one where the forum Administrator ran his mouth at reddit to lay blame on Demonica what Mitsuku had been blamed for by the OP.

To look at the forums you'd never know I was banished and remain a "Trusty" member in appearance only to keep from explaining why I was banned. If we lived on the same land mass I'd fix that and all UK business in one day. I even wrote a poem to say first.

That to save her "Developer" (A real developer, not like the ones here.) and his SuperBot bot further embarrassment from being looped or being looped again, but it never works out as intended when I'm involved.

We are indeed lucky to have people in charge who are capable of critical thought and come equipped with the wetware to do it.

None of what Trihexagonal has ever made much sense, is Trihexagonal a parody of a bot?
I've had you on ignore from shortly after you joined until I logged onto the site and saw this post. Taking you off didn't make any sense because it changed nothing.

The product of your mouth is still indistinguishable from that of your back orifice.

Go cry on somebody else's shoulder.

The person messed up, but I don't see a reason for meanness.

I also don't see an offense by a mod. The mod disagreed, but I don't see that as petty or insulting. Bringing up dissociative disorder is mild. Maybe a misunderstanding.

I've flagged my threads before, if I thought the category could be changed, but there wasn't a reason to put that in the open.

My guess is that the person started a thread and requested for it to be locked, bc they thought it would get arguments with others. That kind of thread wouldn't get views. News threads and mod threads get locked after the posts by that account. I think that's what the person requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back