C MMap in FreeBSD 11

Hi ,

I have question about mmap and /dev/mem in the FreeBSD 11. We found, that ours applications does not work correct in the 11 - there is a problem with mapping physical memory via mmap and /dev/mem device - we are receiving "Permission Denied" error. Is there any important change in the new version, that prohibits this operation, or it is just a bug in the OS or App?

Regards,
Patryk

Any particular reason you use FreeBSD-CURRENT? As suggested here, -CURRENT branch is not "the best" platform for a production machine. You may want to use 10.3-RELEASE instead.

If you HAVE TO use FreeBSD-CURRENT, then freebsd-current mailing list is the best place to ask this question. But it is worth noting that any feature you have in -CURRENT may not be available in the -RELEASE version.

Thanks all for answers. Sorry for placing it here, not in the mailing list. I will move it. We must support all versions of the FreeBSD from the 10.1. I know, that the 11 was not published yet, but some of our colleagues need it and found, that it does not work. This is very important for our product and I have to know if we will need changes in the workflow when the 11 will be released.

Regards,
Patryk

We must support all versions of the FreeBSD from the 10.1. I know, that the 11 was not published yet, but some of our colleagues need it and found, that it does not work
It is available for download, in fact I have a VM running FreeBSD-CURRENT, BUT, it is not officially supported. This means, say, if you develop a software that depends on any feature/library introduced with FreeBSD-CURRENT, there is no guarantee that you will have that in the RELEASE version.

Have a look at release engineering web site.

You may also want to subscribe to freebsd-current mailing list, which would allow you to be across potential issues and changes in the coming release.

Back