Solved Misunderstanding df -h output

Coming off Linux and finding some odd output from df -h and du -h

When I run df -h / it appears to be adding all mounted file systems together, instead of just the one I want the statistics from. Is this normal behavior for FreeBSD? For example, I just want to find the space free or used on "/" or "/home". How is this possible? I have searched on it but can't really find an answer.

... When I run df -h / it appears to be adding all mounted file systems together, instead of just the one I want the statistics from. ...

Are you sure? On my FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 (x86-64) server, I see:
Code:
root@server:~ # df -h /
Filesystem         Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/gpt/server    2.6T    2.1T    351G    86%    /

root@server:~ # df -h
Filesystem         Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/gpt/server    2.6T    2.1T    351G    86%    /
devfs              1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/gpt/tm        1.8T    1.1T    484G    71%    /tm
So df -h / shows me only the information for the root file system /, as requested.

That is how it normally is on Linux but my BSD install (desktop) can't be 96GB, that's insane. A full-on DE on Linux with an office suite, etc, is less than 10 GB. Here is my output:
Code:
paul@bigzbox:~ % df -h /
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ada0p2    226G     96G    111G    46%    /

paul@bigzbox:~ % df -h
/dev/ada0p2    226G     96G    111G    46%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ada1p1    462G    8.4G    417G     2%    /home
/dev/ada2p1    1.8T     86G    1.5T     5%    /backups
/dev/ada3p2    901G     78G    751G     9%    /multimedia
/dev/fuse        0B      0B      0B   100%    /home/paul/.gvfs

Maybe I need to figure out what on "/" is taking up so much space - that's way too much.

I've got a mount goofed up - I think that is what is causing the problem. I unmounted my backup disk and have the same numbers - I think I've got a duplication somewhere. Live and learn...I'll post back when I figure out what I did :)

I'm an idiot...I had my backup disk contents copied to "/backups" in addition to the backup disk being mounted to the same directory. No clue how I did this but now here are my numbers:
Code:
paul@bigzbox:/ % df -h
/dev/ada0p2    226G    9.9G    198G     5%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ada1p1    462G    8.4G    417G     2%    /home
/dev/fuse        0B      0B      0B   100%    /home/paul/.gvfs
/dev/ada2p1    1.8T     86G    1.5T     5%    /backups
/dev/ada3p2    901G     78G    751G     9%    /multimedia

/dev/ada2p1 was unmounted at some point when you ran your backups, which would have written everything to /backups (on the / filesystem). You should add a check to your backups process that makes sure /dev/ada2p1 is mounted before running the backups.

That's exactly what happened, silly mistake on my part. Thanks for the suggestion, will add that to my process.

Back