Solved Missing resolv.conf on new installation

I just install a new FreeBSD 10.2 zfs installation from script and I have no internet access...
After some digging, I realised that I had no /etc/resolv.conf file...
Should I just create it manually and chmod 644 it?
If This file is missing is there a way to see what else has been omitted in the process?
Is this behaviour happen a lot?
Code:
vi  /etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory

I don't think /etc/resolv.conf does exist by default, so it's not that the FreeBSD extraction has gone wrong and missed a file, just that you've used an install process that hasn't specifically created it for you. You should be fine to create it manually.

It depends on what you chose for IPv4 settings. If you chose DHCP ( ifconfig_IF="SYNCDHCP" for example) there should be a /etc/resolv.conf file created at boot by dhclient(8). If you chose manual IP address you'll have to create the file yourself.

Still the same with 11.3. It's pretty lame to ask for a default router but not DNS; there's no logic to not at least ask if you want it set

Still the same with 11.3. It's pretty lame to ask for a default router but not DNS; there's no logic to not at least ask if you want it set
The installer actually does ask for it if you use static addresses. If you use DHCP then /etc/resolv.conf will be automatically generated based on the response of the DHCP server by resolvconf(8).

SirDice is right, if you follow the FreeBSD Handbook* for your "connection style" (let me guess wifi) - one gets created.

(and excellent guide, a must read)

Back