Missing gimp from the main menu

I have gimp 2.6 installed I have gimp.desktop in /usr/local/share/applications I even tried running 'update-desktop-database' but I still can't see Gimp in my Graphics folder in main menu. And no it's not disabled it is missing in menu editor too :(

OK, I asked because I've always noticed that The Gimp is one of the few (if any) application where this happens (at least to me).

This will not explain why it's missing, but can't you create it by yourself with the menu editor?

Can you try creating a fresh user and see what happens?

When I created a new user, gimp is in the menu ... So it there should be something wrong with my user's settings. I actually searched through the gnome settings directly in .gconf dir and via Config Editor but couldn't find anything gimp related :(

Hum i fixed it. I took some time playing around with the files in ~/.config/menus and ~/.local/share/applications. I guess they've change the the way settings are ... set :) sometime ago and I started to see the wine installed games twice in the menu and weird things started happening like gimp disappearing :). I guess I need to do some more test to see where is the right place for the wine *.desktop files coz I now have them in the 2 places :)

Back