miniDLNA permissions

I just installed net/miniDLNA, relevant lines changed in the config is just to point to my audio directory:

media_dir=A,/usr/local/public/audio
permissions on the relevant folder:
Code:
root@djhwty:/usr/local/public/audio # ls -la
total 270

drwxrwx---    8 tharihar  media    11B May  8 15:34 .
drwxrwx---    7 www       media     9B May  8 14:33 ..
-rwxrwx---    1 tharihar  media    12K Sep 19  2019 .DS_Store
drwxrwx---   47 tharihar  media    52B Nov 12 00:14 FLACs
drwxrwx---    5 tharihar  media     6B Oct 30  2019 Misc (do not touch)
drwxrwx---  258 tharihar  media   267B Nov 28  2020 Offline
-rwxrwx---    1 tharihar  media   504B Jun 24  2021 desktop.ini
drwxrwx---    2 tharihar  media    28B Sep 23  2019 downloads
-rwxrwx---    1 tharihar  media   972B Dec 28  2016 license_v2_Tejas_Hariharan.audlic
drwxrwx---    2 tharihar  media   727B Jul 27  2017 music

just in case i tried
Code:
su -m dlna
touch /usr/local/public/audio/testfile
and it works fine.

However, i keep getting:
Code:
[2023/05/08 15:25:56] monitor_kqueue.c:227: error: open(/usr/local/public/audio) [Permission denied]

I even tried to put minidlna_uid = tharihar in /etc/rc.conf, verified using ps that the new minidlna process runs as those users - to no avail. The only thing that seems to work is to run minidlna as root, which works, but i'd rather not do that. What is happening here?

and just in case, here are the permissions of the enclosing folders to /usr/local/public/audio in order:

Code:
drwxrwx---   7 www         media            9B May  8 14:33 public
drwxrwx---   8 tharihar      media         11B May  8 15:34 audio

here are the permissions of the enclosing folders to /usr/local/public/audio in order
Reverse order? First is /usr/local/public/audio, second is /usr/local/public? Is the dlna user a member of the media group?

Reverse order? First is /usr/local/public/audio, second is /usr/local/public? Is the dlna user a member of the media group?
yes both dlna and tharihar are part of media group. I even tried to run minidlna as user tharihar, same thing. (as mentioned i tried 'su -m dlna' i was able to go into the audio directory and even add files to it).

Back