Migration from Fedora Linux to Free BSD

Hello, I've been using Linux for about 2 year, and I'd like to start using Free BSD as a daily drive OS because of its policies. I'm tired of Big Corporations and their tendencies of using Bloatware and Telemetry. I don't know if my hardware is compatible with Free BSD, and also don't know where can I learn about it. I'm going to attach an image of my laptop features using Neofetch. Thank you very much in advance. Greetings from Argentina.
Captura desde 2024-05-04 23-49-18.png

Another option is GhostBSD it has a 4 GB image that it loads into RAM to run the system it's based on FreeBSD current and it will give you a general idea of hardware support as well. I also moved from Fedora to FreeBSD a year ago it's a really good move. FreeBSD is a solid system.

Another option is GhostBSD it has a 4 GB image that it loads into RAM to run the system it's based on FreeBSD current and it will give you a general idea of hardware support as well. I also moved from Fedora to FreeBSD a year ago it's a really good move. FreeBSD is a solid system.
Oh, that sounds awesome. Which is better ? And Thank you for replying :).

I know this might not necessarily be 100% important to someone new to Linux/BSD, but Linux has some things that BSD does not.
I've heard that you can port any linux or Debian pkg to Free BSD. I like Debian, but I would like to try BSDs Systems at least once. Thanks for replying.

Indeed. BadMilkDwarf has already listed some:

;)
Ha ha ha, At least in distros like Ubuntu or Fedora. They are great too, and works well, but I prefer more community driven Distros. In this two years i've tried Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian my favourite was Debian and I heard it is simillar to freeBSD in terms of stability. Thank you for replying.

Indeed. [FONT=monospace]BadMilkDwarf[/FONT] has already listed some:
I've heard that you can port any linux or Debian pkg to Free BSD
I didn't mean packages but more utilities that deal with the way kernel is set up. Like, there's no /dev/mapper/ and cannot use plain mode cryptsetup encryption stuff on FreeBSD. I actually don't think it can be ported and must be coded manually to achieve the same functionality. Can it be ported? Maybe someone here knows. It's actually pretty revealing that this is not achievable on FreeBSD out of the box...as in "really bad sign" stuff. But there's of course some "really good sign" stuff about FreeBSD too. Are we being piecemealed the good stuff from various sources?

Yeah, there are a lot of firmware for different hardware that aren't supported. Also things pertaining to file systems that are used on Linux are unavailable, for obvious reasons.

Those are a few of the first things that I noticed when I switched over.

When I was looking for a system to replace Linux and I tried FreeBSD, after the first install, I was actually wondering why start x wasn't working that's before I decided I should probably follow the handbook. 😁

Hello, I've been using Linux for about 2 year, and I'd like to start using Free BSD as a daily drive OS because of its policies. I'm tired of Big Corporations and their tendencies of using Bloatware and Telemetry. I don't know if my hardware is compatible with Free BSD, and also don't know where can I learn about it. I'm going to attach an image of my laptop features using Neofetch. Thank you very much in advance. Greetings from Argentina. View attachment 18975

Welcome to fbsd! and greeting from buenos aires :)

I purchased about 14 or so of the Edimax V1 and V2 dongles when I first started using FreeBSD. But now I just order the Atheros AR5BWB222 chips for my laptops / mini desktops. But my workstations or regular desktops use network cables. :D
I suspect Atheros are the best because they don't require any firmware to run, which is good security, if you ask me. But get 3 antenna Atheros chips, those are faster, you get 3 channels!

I've heard that you can port any linux or Debian pkg to Free BSD. I like Debian, but I would like to try BSDs Systems at least once. Thanks for replying.
That's probably an exageration. However FreeBSD does have around 34,000 pkgs available all from a single repository which you can simply download using pkg install PKGNAME. You can even build all the packages yourself if you want.

The best thing about FreeBSD is this forum.

That's probably an exageration. However FreeBSD does have around 34,000 pkgs available all from a single repository which you can simply download using pkg install PKGNAME. You can even build all the packages yourself if you want.

The best thing about FreeBSD is this forum.
Tomorrow i will try to install FreeBSD with MATE desktop and install some packages , thanks for replying and explain the package manager command.

Tomorrow i will try to install FreeBSD with MATE desktop and install some packages , thanks for replying and explain the package manager command.
Personally, I would just try and install FreeBSD and Xorg, and a couple of utilities to start with. I'm lost without Midnight Commander. You favourite editor would also come in useful.

pkg install -y mc emacs xorg drm-kmod

Is what I normally install, although drm-kmod might not be appropriate for you system.

That would highlight any potential problems you might have with graphics drivers, and you can get a feel for the underlying system and figure out how to diagnose any problems.

If that works out you can simply add the MATE desktop without starting from scratch.

Just thought I'd add, since you might not realise, coming from Linux, FreeBSD keeps the OS separate from pkgs. /usr/local is where all pkgs are installed.

And if you get stuck, https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/ is your friend.

Back