Migrating from VM (qemu) to dedicated harddrive

Before I start working on a new server setup I'd really like to know if it's a good idea to start off on a virtual machine (qemu in my case).

More specifically:
  1. Are there any known implications/restrictions hardware/software wise?
  2. How could one make the configuration as simple and clear as possible to adopt to the new hardware (abstraction)?
  3. Anything else?

Input very much appreciated!

wblock said:
Use labels for disk devices or filesystems.
Use ifconfig_DEFAULT="whatever" to set the Ethernet card. Might not work if you have multiple Ethernet cards.
Don't use CPUTYPE?= in /etc/make.conf.

Will it run X?

Thanks! I realize a lot good suggestions are to be found in similar topics (physical HD -> VM, HD -> HD, etc). Use of labels seems to be very encouraged! As opposed to anything X related. To answer your question on that:
I do plan to experiment with X, but probably not before migration. I want to run a TV-out service kind-of-thing, thus making use of the TV-out card in the "production box". I might also want to play around with thin clients. I won't have any use for an attached monitor in the final setup. Any thoughts on that?

A few. I have an xfce setup that is built to run on any random computer. It has all the most common X drivers installed. A skeleton xorg.conf lets xorg autodetect everything else. A network media server may not need anything but the X libraries if it'll be sending everything out over the net.

From that I derive:
  • Driver portability as far as possible (X, ...?)
  • Use of automatic configuration (X, disk labels, more?)
  • Variables/labels in configuration files (firewall, rc.conf defaults, more?)
Keeping that in mind can save some head scratching indeed. I assume a basic jails setup (default device access) will work w/o hassle after migration, is that wrong?

Don't turn on OCFLAGS in the mplayer port options. Or do, but plan on rebuilding it after moving to a new system with a different CPU.

Back