Migrating From 8 To 9 (Back-Up Users)

D

dns

Hello guys. I already want to migrate to FBSD FreeBSD 9 Release, but how can I save my freebsd FreeBSD users and passwords? I want restore the users with their passwords after reinstall FBSD FreeBSD 9.

Why, I like latest version. I'll no (-reinstall-) just will save the home directory to other HDD and will format current fBSD FreeBSD HDD. Also I want to use the same passwords from current bsd FreeBSD to fbsd FreeBSD 9.

What should I do to keep the same passwords?

Thank you but this is not in my style. I want just remove current and install latest. How can I save the current user passwords and restore after?

Passwords are stored in /etc/master.passwd and I think that copying this file and /etc/group will also copy data about your users. Their own data is, of course, in /usr/home/

Do we know whether password encryption method is same? Whether they will work 100%?

Clean installs when upgrading are a Windows relic that do not hold on other operating systems such as FreeBSD, because upgrades actually work here. Passwords keep working.

dns said:
Thank you but this is not in my style. I want just remove current and install latest.

FreeBSD is not Windows. There is no need to reinstall the system. It is faster just to upgrade and the final result will be the same. Just less headache and less configuration errors will be made.

The only reasons to reinstall the system are 1) when you change architectures (for example, moving from amd64 to i386), or 2) if you are hacked and you can't trust your existing system anymore.

vand777 said:
The only reasons to reinstall the system are 1) when you change architectures (for example, moving from amd64 to i386), or 2) if you are hacked and you can't trust your existing system anymore.
3) if you want to change your filesystem layout :e

Backing up /etc/passwd, /etc/master.passwd, /etc/group and /usr/home/ should be enough.

dns said:
Thank you but this is not in my style. I want just remove current and install latest. How can I save the current user passwords and restore after?

Sounds like you've had some bad experiences with Windows. You should try upgrading FreeBSD.

dns said:
Do we know whether password encryption method is same? Whether they will work 100%?

If you have e.g. blowfish specified in /etc/auth.conf then copy that file in addition to the ones mentioned earlier.

Back