Middle button always pasting text

I scroll by middle button. No matter where I click to start or end scrolling the currently marked text is pasted into the editor. This is nonsense.

.. It's even pasting previously selected text if there is none currently selected :mad:

There is too much scripting on this forum. It you want to mark "CODE" a window pops up etc.

I scroll by middle button. No matter where I click to start or end scrolling the currently marked text is pasted into the editor. This is nonsense.

No, that's how it's supposed to work. I use a Microsoft Optical Trackball with my laptops and that's exactly how I paste text into my terminal.

it's not supposed to paste when I click on other areas of the page!

Unless you have text highlighted. You said it pastes the currently marked text when you click the button. That's what it's supposed to do.

Don't shout at me. Learn to use your computer.

If I didn't want to read what you said I'd put you on ignore. Don't press your luck.

Read what I said. I'm trying to help you.

Why do you answer if you don't know what is talked about and don't even know what scrolling by middle button means? If you would, you could see the effect yourself.

I scroll by middle button. No matter where I click to start or end scrolling the currently marked text is pasted into the editor.
That shouldn't happen. It should only paste when the mouse pointer is above a field that allows text entry. That's how it behaves for me.

Does it happen with your editor only, or also with other programs? What editor is that? Maybe it performs some kind of “mouse grab” (this is an X11 feature that allows programs to receive input even if they don't have the focus currently).

Another question: What window manager are you using? Have you configured it for “focus follows mouse” or “click to focus”?

Yes it is. Now what? It happens ONLY on this forum. I haven't seen it anywhere else. I use firefox and
openbox with focus follows mouse whatever that has got to do with it.

I'm sorry, I didn't see that you were talking about the forum's editor.
In that case I guess it's a Firefox problem. Sorry, I can't help you there, I don't use Firefox anymore.

OH YES with editor I mean the edit area here on this forum, that was probably not clear.
As it only happens on this forum it must be a problem of this forum or not?
Am I the only one using firefox?
It even happens when I switch off "auto scrolling"

When I'm not confused by auto scrolling I see that it only happens to the right of the edit area (on button release). So it seems to be some area detection error.

Why do you answer if you don't know what is talked about and don't even know what scrolling by middle button means? If you would, you could see the effect yourself.

OH YES with editor I mean the edit area here on this forum, that was probably not clear.

Why don't you provide all the details so people will know what you're talking about?

That's quite enough of you.

This is the "Feedback" area of this forum, so I thought it could be assumed that it is talked about this forum.

This is the "Feedback" area of this forum, so I thought it could be assumed that it is talked about this forum.

Have you done any research into this 'issue' before posting? This middle button behavior is the way it's worked for a long while now.

There's no need to be so aggressive with people who are trying to help you. Do your research, search the web, search these forums and learn why this happens. And remember, no one is obligated to help you. They are doing this to be helpful, they shouldn't endure bad attitudes.

I seem to remember at one point using a plugin or something which allowed use of one's personal editor choice in text entry boxes. I'm not sure if that's still around.

Have you done any research into this 'issue' before posting? This middle button behavior is the way it's worked for a long while now.

There's no need to be so aggressive with people who are trying to help you. Do your research, search the web, search these forums and learn why this happens. And remember, no one is obligated to help you. They are doing this to be helpful, they shouldn't endure bad attitudes.
So where is your help here? Accusing me being aggressive? What do you suggest I search the web for?

Back