Microsoft Wireless Network Adapter mn-520 freezes system

Before you read on, keep in mind I'm new to bsd (coming from linux).

I'm trying to get the card to work on a very old laptop (compaq armada m700) but whenever I plug it in the system just freezes. It is reported to be supported by the wi driver. Apparently it needs firmware >=0.8.0 to work but I don't know how to check that. If I boot with it plugged in the system freezes at this message:
Code:
wi0: <Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 11 function 0 config 1 on pccard1
When it freezes, the hd light glows non-stop although there is no activity (almost as if its some i/o wait).

The goal in the end is to get it to connect to my wpa network.

Any help would be great.

Which FreeBSD version is that? I used a wi(4) PCMCIA device a while ago successfully, so I don't think we have a general issue here. Do you have any other device you can test the port with?

I forgot to mention its 8.1-release (x86), installed yesterday. I would've edited my original post but it seems such a useful feature is disabled. And I don't like double posting.

I tried doing the following but made no difference:
http://www.unix.com/man-page/FreeBSD/4/wi/ said:
WL200 PCI wireless cards are based on a Cirrus Logic CL-PD6729 bridge
chips glued to an Intersil Prism-II PCMCIA chipset w/o the PC Card form
factor being present. These chips are special and require special care
to use properly. One must set hw.pcic.pd6729_intr_path="2" in
/boot/loader.conf. This tells the PC Card system to use PCI interrupts
for this odd beast. It is not possible to know automatically which kind
of interrupts to use. OLDCARD devices support this device. NEWCARD
devices (pccbb(4) and pccard(4)) do not support it at this time.

I've got one of those cards laying here, and after a fruitless search for updated firmware, my conclusion is that it can be best fixed with a firm supporting base like concrete, and a pure steel or hybrid steel/wood/fiberglass repetitive impact device. Or maybe a motorized rotary boring tool. All while making a suitable gesture in the direction of Redmond.

xhk said:
Here you go.

Nothing obviously broken in there, hmm.. I'm outta clue.

Maybe
# sysctl debug.bootverbose=1
# sysctl hw.pccard.debug=1
# sysctl hw.pccard.cis_debug=1
and then plugging in the card might reveal something?

Back