Mic input on intel 10th gen versus 11th gen (and 7th gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon in general)?

cracauer@

Developer
I have a laptop with an 11th gen i7. Unfortunately the Tiger Lake sound subsystem won't support the microphone before some huge stack of audio drivers is implemented (I forgot the buzzword). Is that the same when using a 10th gen Intel CPU? Anybody successfully using a 10th gen laptop?

More generally the 10th gen intel laptop I am looking at is the 7th gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Anybody tried that with FreeBSD?

Maybe a Thinkpad T14 of similar age would be better? I hear it has socketed RAM.

I use E485, everything works fine. If some peripheral is not working correctly why not use external, connected via USB, or even some DAC?

I use E485, everything works fine. If some peripheral is not working correctly why not use external, connected via USB, or even some DAC?

I want to have a Zoom-ready FreeBSD laptop to actually carry around. External DAC means external mic, so there is some baggage.

Additionally the usual browsers on FreeBSD do not seem to implement sound device selection in a web app (although they do implement webcam selection). So I would have to change the default device in the OS to the USB device. At which point I am probably unable to use the (otherwise working fine) built-in speakers for Zoom with external sound input device. Which prevents me from using devices that only have input such as webcams or USB mics. It kind of escalates.

Nope, not soldered, at least RAM, CPU not sure as mine was fastest installed (2700U) so I wasn't checking.
As for suspending, resuming, can't say - I don't use it.

Back