Other .meta extension file associated to an audio file

Hello Guys !

I've three files: one audio file .wav and two other files, one with .meta extension and the other one with .crc extension.

The file .wav can be listen with a sound player.

About the .meta file: I think that it could be contain several other informations other than the usual ones the wav file contains in its header.

Have you idea how to open the .meta file ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You can use file(1) on the file to get a hint. For example:
sh:
# file /etc/rc.conf
/etc/rc.conf: ASCII text

For non text files, try using od(1).

Anyway you can typically just try opening a file with a text editor, if you get rubbish it's probably a binary file. Quit without saving and move onto another tool.

LOL. Not that it means anything in NIX, but .out files are usually executable binaries under the old executable format. Public.key is obviously the public encryption key of someone. xml files can literally be anything, and listfilelst probably contains a list of something.

I'd be like "dude, what am I suppose to do with this CD?" Please send directions as to how to access the data. Please don't make me play guessing games.

The .meta files are probably RealPlayer metafiles (proprietary format I guess, just like the rest of RealNetworks' products). They must've been generated while playing the wave files in RealPlayer. And the .crc are most likely the CRC checksums of the wave files. Have you tried using file(1) yet, as it's already been suggested?

Hello Beastie !
he .meta files are probably RealPlayer metafiles (proprietary format I guess, just like the rest of RealNetworks' products).
And the .crc are most likely the CRC checksums of the wave files.

I'm agree with you.

Have you tried using file(1) yet, as it's already been suggested?
yes, but I receive the message:

nomefile.meta: data

according to the file(1) man page:

"Any file that cannot be identified as having been written in any of the character sets listed above is simply said to be ``data''. "

Back