Solved Mediawiki

I'm hoping some kind soul will be able to show me the shortest way to get to my goal. In a nutshell, I am trying to migrate my mediawiki install to a FreeBSD jail...Here are the details.

I have a mediawiki installation on an ancient Debian/sid OpenVZ container. It is mediawiki 1.19 installation running a MySQL 5.0.74 backend.

The target machine is a FreeBSD 13.1 iocage jail running mediawiki 1.38 with MySQL 5.7.38 server. So I have both wikis up and running, and I would like to transfer the data from old to the new. Is it as simple as making a mysqldump of the old database and tarring up the files and putting them on the new wiki (minus LocalSettings.php)? Or is there more to it than that?

For instance, do I need to upgrade the Debian instance to mediawiki 1.35 before trying this?

Thanks,
--vr

For instance, do I need to upgrade the Debian instance to mediawiki 1.35 before trying this?
That is required even for a Mediawiki upgrade on the same platform; the update script on 1.38 refuses to upgrade if the database isn't on at least 1.35.

As for the other things; yes database + files should do it. If you are using any extensions that isn't in the base Mediawiki (1.38 have a lot more than 1.32 for example) you might need to upgrade them too.
Note: the upgrade procedure for MySQL needs attention too. A few things changed (I can't remember the details).
Sorry, I did the upgrade on the same platform so can't offer any cross-platform specific advice.

Back