Solved mDNSResponder not running

Hello everyone,

I have installed net/mDNSResponder from ports in order to advertise a TimeCapsule via Bonjour to my Macs in my lan. The Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) is provided by the installed net/netatalk3 port. The AFP is tested and working OK meaning I can access the provided AFP shares manually via the Mac OS Finder (afp://ip:share).

The startup script has also been installed under /usr/local/etc/mdnsresponder

The appropriate entries are passed in /etc/rc.conf
Code:
netatalk_enable="YES"
mdnsresponder_enable="YES"
mdnsresponder_flags="-f /usr/local/etc/mdnsresponder.conf"

where the configuration file /usr/local/etc/mdnsresponder.conf has the following entries
Code:
TimeCapsule
_afpovertcp._tcp. local.
model=TimeCapsule6,106

The /usr/local/bin/mDNSResponderPosix bin either called by the rc.d script via the command
service mdnsresponder start
or called directly with the command
mDNSResponderPosix -f /usr/local/etc/mdnsresponder.conf
is NOT running (no PID file created under /var/run, neither a ps ux outputs anything)

Enabling verbose output and advertising a test service via the command
mDNSResponderPosix -v 2 -n test
outputs the following
mDNSResponderPosix: Starting in foreground mode, PID 1548
but once again no PID file is created and there is not such process at the output of ps ux

The mDNSResponderPosix is not running.

I have tried to deinstall and reinstall the port. I have deinstalled the port and installed a precompiled binary via the pkg system. I have even tried
portmaster -Rf net/mDNSResponder
to force a recompile of the port and dependencies with no luck.

The mDNSResponder service was running just fine until a couple of days ago to my old FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 server which I have just (hardware) upgraded and decided to clean install FreeBSD 11 amd64.

Just in case you might ask, there is NOT a single 'local' domain in any of my lan machines.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Re: mDNSResponder not running

DemoNIck said:
The mDNSResponder service was running just fine until a couple of days ago to my old FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 server which I have just (hardware) upgraded and decided to clean install FreeBSD 11 amd64.
Don't use -CURRENT. It's not what you think it is.

Topics about unsupported FreeBSD versions

To be honest, you have got a point on that because in fact I knew what -CURRENT really is. Anyway I will get back to a 10-RELEASE.
Thanks anyway for your time.

I've also installed net/mDNSResponder and net/netatalk3 to provide both regular network volumes and a TimeMachine volume for my mac. However, I didn't explicitly configure mDNSResponder. I built net/netatalk3 with mDNSResponder support, enabled both daemons in /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
mdnsd_enable="YES"
netatalk_enable="YES"

... and just added my TimeMachine to /usr/local/etc/afp.conf:

Code:
[Backups]
path = /BACKUPS
valid users = @nas
time machine = yes

I also had to put an empty file in /BACKUPS to actually get TimeMachine on my mac to allow me to use it as a backup target: sudo touch /BACKUPS/.com.apple.timemachine.supported

And that's it. sudo service netatalk start and my Backups was usable as a TimeMachine volume.

Back