Solved mc screen messed up under ssh on RPi

Not sure if this is the correct section, but it is related to ssh...

When I run misc/mc through ssh on a Raspberry Pi, the screen is all messed up with additional charaacters such as:-
���/.cache ��� 4096���Nov 15 2018������

This does not happen when I ssh from a Linux box. I can't figure out what could be causing this. Is there something in ssh which sets the terminal type?
Both FreeBSD and Linux have Term=xterm-256color, although these values may be set differently on either system.

Has anyone else experienced this or fixed it?

Incidentally I get the same problem using ssh with FreeNAS but not with a FreeNAS jail.

Thanks for the heads up... Encoding is something I've been oblivious to so far...

Looking at Thread 54388 suggests that I need to change /etc/login.conf but am not sure what to change it to - I'm in the UK.

It also mentions to change ~/.login_conf but I don't see such a file

I do notice that /etc/login.conf on FreeNAS contains:-
Code:
:charset=UTF-8:\                                                                       │
:lang=en_US.UTF-8:
so that may well account for the difference. As for the RPi, that's currently running Linux and such a file doesn't exist, so am not sure what to change.

I had this problem before. I think some option during installation must be select and install it again.
If you install it by the ports you must select some options for install.

I sorted out the problem by running raspi-config on the RPi then

Localisation Options -> Change Locale -> select en_GB ISO-8859-1

Now I can ssh into my RPi and mc looks like it should. I'm running Raspbian on the Pi at the moment.

Back