maybe not the first one to complain but not the last

1.jpg.png

after too many...but too many times of try it, virtualmachines..etc...etc..fuck#t
and fu$# you netflix

You do understand that Netflix is probably the largest publicly known user of FreeBSD for internet-facing servers, and contributes a lot (both money and manpower) to FreeBSD? So don't be too harsh on them.

(Obnoxious remark: Deep underneath this observation is the age-old question whether FreeBSD is primarily a server or a desktop OS.)

I worked at a place where we relied on running Netflix in Linux. We messed with the user-agent, etc., but it was a cold war. They were constantly finding ways of breaking Firefox on Linux, maybe not just because of us. I remember they even used HSTS super cookies at one point.

You do understand that Netflix is probably the largest publicly known user of FreeBSD for internet-facing servers, and contributes a lot (both money and manpower) to FreeBSD? So don't be too harsh on them.

(Obnoxious remark: Deep underneath this observation is the age-old question whether FreeBSD is primarily a server or a desktop OS.)
yes,but work en every platform except on FreeBSD

Here's the funny thing: For the last ~25 years, I've worked in very big computer companies, including cloud ones. Because of where I live, I know a lot of people who work for Netflix and for Apple. The headquarters of Netflix is the closest big computer company to our house (closer than both the middle school and high school our son went to, matter-of-fact you drive by Netflix on the way to middle school); the headquarters of Apple is about 10-15 minutes further away, but still closer than the daily commute anyone in our family does. The headquarters of Intel, HP, Google, Facebook, NVidia, LinkedIn, Twitter, VMWare, Oracle (formerly known as Sun) are all within another half hour. As is Amazon's biggest software development department outside of Seattle. Among our neighbors and friends are people who have weekly meetings with Tom Cook (and used to go to Steve Jobs office uninvited to complain about things), the head of AWS, the person in charge of all content distribution and storage at Netflix, a founder of NVidia, one of the fathers of microprocessor architecture, and so on. You'd think that I'm plugged into the Silicon Valley lifestyle, and consume all manners of digital products.

Yet I've never in my life watched a Netflix movie. My son has a Netflix subscription, but I'm not interested. I'm not a movie person, except for older stuff which is available on DVD (I can probably quote much of the text of "Blazing Saddles" or "Casablanca"). I've only watched exactly one "on the internet only" movie or series, and that was "Good Omens" on Amazon Prime Video (because I love the book so much). I've only read one e-book on Kindle (because it was written by a friend, and no paper copies are sold). I do not use the Internet to consume entertainment. It's not because I have something against the internet, or the big companies that dominate it - within the last week, I received two music CDs and one book that I ordered over the Internet. I just don't like my entertainment to be delivered over a wire.

Weird, isn't it?

I'm sure all 50 FreeBSD desktop users worldwide will surely prompt Netflix to contribute the resources and money to make their client work on FreeBSD.
I think that they know how and I am pay in for the membresy...is not enough "contribute"?

You hear repeatedly here that Netflix chose FreeBSD for content delivery. Yes, but it is the license. Not because FreeBSD is better than Linux.
Sorry, that is false. Netflix could use Linux and GPL-licensed software just as easily. Remember, you don't need to release your source just because you *USE* Linux. You only need to release your source code if you *DISTRIBUTE* software that is *BASED ON* GPL'ed software such as Linux. But Netflix doesn't distribute software. All the other big cloud companies (the "FAAG" in "FAANG") use Linux, and they have no problem with the GPL.

I'm sure Netflix has good reasons to use FreeBSD that are technical in nature.

I've only watched exactly one "on the internet only" movie or series, and that was "Good Omens" on Amazon Prime Video (because I love the book so much).
Great book and great series.

We kicked Comcast to the curb years ago, and are now a Netflix-and-Prime only family. Well, except for my kids who only watch Youtube.

I have to confess, I lied above: I do "watch" a lot of Youtube. But in a funny sense: I don't actually use it for short movies, but to listen to classical music, mostly while at work. So you'll frequently see a youtube tab in a browser in a corner, and me with headphones, listening to something obscure like Taneyev piano quintet.

I also use a lot of iTunes, except I've never spent a penny on it. Instead I use it to rip and store my CD collection. In the old days I used to use cdparanoia and lame on my server in the basement to rip CDs, but these days I find that a Mac laptop is so much more convenient.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
I think that they know how and I am pay in for the membresy...is not enough "contribute"?
My educated guess is that the cost of maintaining the Netflix stack for each desktop client operating system is a few M$ per year (you need a team of two or three software engineers, a handful QA people, documentation writer, marketing, customer support, and a project manager). For concreteness, let me assume 1.8M$ per year. How much does a Netflix subscription cost? I think $15 per month, which is $180 per year. We know that nearly all of that goes to content production and content owners; let's optimistically assume that Netflix has a 20% profit margin on that. And now let's also optimistically assume that Netflix is willing to make no profit whatsoever on its FreeBSD customers, and fundamentally becomes a charity, but it doesn't want to lose money on selling to FreeBSD users. If you multiply that out, each FreeBSD-using customer contributes $36 per year, and it would take 50,000 FreeBSD users who are unwilling to watch Netflix on any platform other than FreeBSD to make this economically viable. Sorry, but that is completely unrealistic. Are there even 50,000 desktop FreeBSD users in the world total?

Have you tried calling Reed Hastings, and offered to write him a check for FreeBSD support? It would be a VERY BIG check. If each person who is so passionate about this issue would write a check for an extra $10K, then it would take only 180 people to make it viable. And lots of people donate $10K per year to charitable causes.

Shitposting much? We already have a Linux Chrome how-to as well the dedicated Netflix/Widevine complaint thread. Please use one of those.
yes, already read it, and that user make a great tutorial, but I want to keep my FreeBSD pure

My educated guess is that the cost of maintaining the Netflix stack for each desktop client operating system is a few M$ per year (you need a team of two or three software engineers, a handful QA people, documentation writer, marketing, customer support, and a project manager). For concreteness, let me assume 1.8M$ per year. How much does a Netflix subscription cost? I think $15 per month, which is $180 per year. We know that nearly all of that goes to content production and content owners; let's optimistically assume that Netflix has a 20% profit margin on that. And now let's also optimistically assume that Netflix is willing to make no profit whatsoever on its FreeBSD customers, and fundamentally becomes a charity, but it doesn't want to lose money on selling to FreeBSD users. If you multiply that out, each FreeBSD-using customer contributes $36 per year, and it would take 50,000 FreeBSD users who are unwilling to watch Netflix on any platform other than FreeBSD to make this economically viable. Sorry, but that is completely unrealistic. Are there even 50,000 desktop FreeBSD users in the world total?

Have you tried calling Reed Hastings, and offered to write him a check for FreeBSD support? It would be a VERY BIG check. If each person who is so passionate about this issue would write a check for an extra $10K, then it would take only 180 people to make it viable. And lots of people donate $10K per year to charitable causes.
but why not make it compatible with FreeBSD?

My educated guess is that the cost of maintaining the Netflix stack for each desktop client operating system is a few M$ per year (you need a team of two or three software engineers, a handful QA people, documentation writer, marketing, customer support, and a project manager).
It's a bit simpler than that, Widevine is owned by Google. Not even Netflix can force Google to release it for FreeBSD.

you'll fit right in into the OpenBSD community.
Hey, some of us swing both ways! (Does that sound right?!) Actually I also use Mac, iOS, Android, Windows, and Linux, so I'm confused. And 8-bit and 16-bit.
I just don't like my entertainment to be delivered over a wire.
I've got a lot of "old" physical media and a lot of "modern" digital "purchases". But my digital "purchases" seem to be licences-to-use while the providers can be bothered, can get the content, and I stay alive.

So I'm starting to think I should get physical copies of any favorite music, books and movies so they can't be taken away from me at a company's whim.

Got Netflix but I find it hard to watch anything that goes on for more than 5 minutes these days. Too fidgety.

shkhln That's what I was going to post. This isn't a Netflix issue entirely. We can't even get Google to support Chromium on FreeBSD and you would think it would be easy for them to do. Or at least give technical aid and comfort to the maintainers of that port.

Back