Mathematica 7.0 on FBSD 8

I'm writing this as I'm hoping somebody can help make this less hackish. The following installs and places icon into gnome menu.

1. run [cmd=]/compat/linux/bin/bash[/cmd]
  2. run [cmd=]MathInstaller[/cmd] from cd or other iso mountpoint etc. I used all defaults.
  3. Ignore exit error - and exit bash
  4. With favorite editor, edit mathematica, math, Mathematica, and MathKernel in the /usr/local/bin directory.
    • #!/bin/sh -> #!/compat/linux/bin/sh
    • Change cases: "Linux)" -> "FreeBSD)"
  5. With same editor, edit mathematica & Mathematica:
    ORIG_FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" -> ORIG_FONTCONFIG_FILE="/usr/local/etc/fonts/fonts.conf"
  6. [cmd=]ln -s /compat/linux/usr/local/share/applications/wolfram-mathematica.desktop /usr/local/share/applications[/cmd]
  7. run [cmd=]update-desktop-database[/cmd]
  8. copy or symlink contents of subdirectories of /compat/linux/usr/local/share/icons/... to /usr/local/share/icons.
  9. Pick an icon you'd like to appear in the gnome menu and copy or symlink any wolfram-mathematica.png from the /compat/linux/usr/local/share/icons directory to /usr/local/share/pixmaps.

mathematica 6 or 7 runs a lot better - appearance, crash, and sound wise - under FreeBSD's 8.0 linux_base-f10 than linux_base-fc4.

Monty

I'm using FreeBSD 8.0 RC3 + linux_base-f10+ KDE 4.3 and just installed Mathematica 6.

I don't find any
Code:
ORIG_FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf"
in /usr/local/bin/mathematica & Mathematica
I don't have /local in /compat/linux/usr/.

My wolfram-mathematica.desktop is in /usr/local/kde4/share/applications/, not /usr/local/share/applications

I have /usr/local/kde4/share/icons/mono/scalable/apps/mathematica.svgz, not /compat/linux/usr/local/share/icons/wolfram-mathematica.png

Are you using gnome?

monty_hall said:
[*] With same editor, edit mathematica & Mathematica:
ORIG_FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" -> ORIG_FONTCONFIG_FILE="/usr/local/etc/fonts/fonts.conf"
[*] [cmd=]ln -s /compat/linux/usr/local/share/applications/wolfram-mathematica.desktop /usr/local/share/applications[/cmd]
[*] run [cmd=]update-desktop-database[/cmd]
[*] copy or symlink contents of subdirectories of /compat/linux/usr/local/share/icons/... to /usr/local/share/icons.
[*] Pick an icon you'd like to appear in the gnome menu and copy or symlink any wolfram-mathematica.png from the /compat/linux/usr/local/share/icons directory to /usr/local/share/pixmaps.
[/LIST]

mathematica 6 or 7 runs a lot better - appearance, crash, and sound wise - under FreeBSD's 8.0 linux_base-f10 than linux_base-fc4.

Monty

* I'm running gnome.

* For MMA 6.0, I used linux-f8 on freebsd 7.2, IIRC, I didn't have to do anything other than install from linux bash. My ruler/zoom worked on 1st execution of mma. 2+ executions, didn't work(unless I opened a document that was saved with an exposed toolbar). Using mma w/ default font size was a pain...

* For MMA 7.0, I didn't have luck w/ linux-f8, but it worked fine for me under fbsd 8 linux-f10. This time, I had to modify the scripts for fonts. So far, everything seems to work. I've never contributed a port, but I may try breaking my teeth on this - to have it install/uninstall to proper directories.

Back