MATE Mate stopped serving my login suddenly.

I installed FreeBSD 12.4-RELEASE-p3 i386 then Mate 1.26.0 and upon login it started and worked fine.
It recognised USB card device and a USB external stick. I then inserted two USB cards each having external and internal USB sockets. They were recognised.
THEN out of the blue my login name FAILED to invoke mate-session properly. It will start if you type "startx" BUT some things just dont work.
1 The logs show that the USB cards etc ARE recognised at BOOT time but places menu shows no sign of any USB stuff.
2 The shutdown Icon does nothing
3 Messages log has no normal entries after NTP loads the leapsecond file BUT a WARNING appears (11 times ?)
saying mate-session cant connect to ConsoleKit:Failed to conect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket No such file or dir ..
then you get ... Marco core dump
mate-settings-daemo core dump
When you log in as root you get Toms window manager
I hve set /etc/rc.conf with
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
slim_enable="YES"
inetd_enable="YES"
I have been searching every where for any body who has such a problem with no luck.
I have checked all the packages are uptodate and compatible. DBUS seems to be failing to start or run but I can find no
info in any logs about it. Can anyone think what is wrong ? I dont know what ConsoleKit is

The error indicates that dbus isn't running. Maybe it crashed? Maybe it failed to start? The rest are just a consequence of DBUS/ConsoleKit not working.

Back