Mate from ports w/o policykit

Hi all,

I am looking to migrate from severely bugged Linux to FreeBSD and it is critical to have Mate desktop. One of the main irritants under Linux for me is the rougue behaviour of polkitd which has a tendency of pinning the CPU for many hours. I just started Mate configuration in ports and policykit configuration was included. How can I tell the port not to build with policykit?

Edit port Makefile that pulls it and remove dependency/pass option to original make script if necessary. If it still builds and works, you may propose port maintainer add port option.

Thanks, I will try that a little later today.
Does anybody know why FreeBSD Mate is missing the CPU frequency applet?

Even after building applets from ports, where frequency scaling applet exists, it is still not in the list...

OMG! Building applets from ports... each applet builds documentation in 50 different languages... Who thought it was a good idea to build all documentation in all languages and making this a mandatory step??? Seriously!

How can I tell the port not to build with policykit?
As far as I know it's an integral part of MATE. I very much doubt MATE will remain functional if you manage to remove it.

That would be extremely unfortunate as all systemd related stuff including polkitd are highly suspected of being thinly veiled backdoors and are severely bugged where it stands right now. At least Gentoo claims that it builds w/o systemd and polkitd, so it should be possible.

That would be extremely unfortunate as all systemd related stuff including polkitd
Polkit is not a systemd component or related to it. Systemd uses D-BUS messages to ask polkit if a user or process is authorized or not.

Back