Solved Mate desktop (V.13): runs but will not accept my user name & password

Is this a permission problem?
My video card is a Nvidia GM206 Geforce GTX950 VGA display.
What configuration do I need to perform to open this desktop?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank You.

for slim to work you have to create
~/.xinitrc
exec mate-session

this should solve problems with slim logging.

There is a dot in front of xinitrc => .xinitrc

Press [CTRL][ALT][F8] for a text-based virtual terminal, and try to login there. If your login name doesn't work there, login as root and use the command passwd yourLoginName to change the password for your primary user account.

Use [CTRL][ALT][F9] to exit the text-based terminal screen, and return to your graphical login. Good luck.

for slim to work you have to create
~/.xinitrc
exec mate-session

this should solve problems with slim logging.

There is a dot in front of xinitrc => .xinitrc
But for .xinitrc to work it also needs to be chowned. Thanks for your input.

Does that automatically apply for you with multiple users? What version of the OS are you using?
I use single user environment, but assuming that user configures ~/ this does not mannter.
I don't have any experience with kiosk configuration.

I use:
FreeBSD
OpenBSD
DragonFlyBSD
Slackware linux
Gentoo Linux
user created .xinitrc just works without issuing chown command.

user created .xinitrc just works without issuing chown command.
I have a main fbsd box where .xinitrc was not needed, so I'm inclined to agree with you.
However, I'm perplexed why the following link says otherwise. It refers to fbsd 11. I have 13.0
https://linoxide.com/mate-desktop-installation-freebsd-11/

'.....................Then, we'll add the following line of command into the .xinitrc file under the user’s home directory. We'll use our favorite text editor to do so.

% sudo nano /home/arun/.xinitrc

Once the text editor opens, we'll append the file with the following line then save and exit the text editor.

exec mate-session

Next, we'll need to change the ownership of the .xinitrc file to the respective user.

% sudo chown arun:arun /home/arun/.xinitrc

Rebooting Machine

If everything were done as expected, we should be able to get Slim Display Manager asking for user login and after the user login, we should be able to get our Mate desktop environment working as charm. We can simply execute the following command to reboot our FreeBSD machine.

% sudo reboot'

The only thing I can think of is that the downloads of iso's might be tinkered with from the outset, thus produding a need to do things slightly differently. So, I spent hours trying to getting it to work, but it only did with the chown config. Hmm!

[…]
Wow. The useless use of cat (*) is now conquered by the useless use of sudo. (And why do so many docs writing people nowadays think that everyone has sudo installed & configured? You can only assume that when you're writing docs for Ubuntu based installations…)

(*) For the younger: In the late 90s you've seen many new Linuxers typing cat file.txt | grep mysearchstring instead of grep mysearchstring file.txt; That was called the "useless use of cat".

I have a main fbsd box where .xinitrc was not needed, so I'm inclined to agree with you.
However, I'm perplexed why the following link says otherwise. It refers to fbsd 11. I have 13.0

'.....................Then, we'll add the following line of command into the .xinitrc file under the user’s home directory. We'll use our favorite text editor to do so.

Once the text editor opens, we'll append the file with the following line then save and exit the text editor.

exec mate-session

Next, we'll need to change the ownership of the .xinitrc file to the respective user.

Rebooting Machine

If everything were done as expected, we should be able to get Slim Display Manager asking for user login and after the user login, we should be able to get our Mate desktop environment working as charm. We can simply execute the following command to reboot our FreeBSD machine.

% sudo reboot'

The only thing I can think of is that the downloads of iso's might be tinkered with from the outset, thus produding a need to do things slightly differently. So, I spent hours trying to getting it to work, but it only did with the chown config. Hmm!
this
is wrong:
why would anyone use sudo to create .xinitrc in user owned ~/?
I agree with jmos in his comments.
also:
hald is deprecated
moused is needed only if you want to use mouse in terminal, not needed for GUI.
Slim requires editing slim.conf to get logging working.

moused is needed only if you want to use mouse in terminal, not needed for GUI.
moused_enable is only needed for PS/2 mice. For USB mice moused(8) gets automatically loaded through devd(8).

Code:
notify 100 {
        match "system" "DEVFS";
        match "subsystem" "CDEV";
        match "type" "CREATE";
        match "cdev" "ums[0-9]+";

action "service moused quietstart $cdev";
};

moused_enable is only needed for PS/2 mice. For USB mice moused(8) gets automatically loaded through devd(8).

Code:
notify 100 {
        match "system" "DEVFS";
        match "subsystem" "CDEV";
        match "type" "CREATE";
        match "cdev" "ums[0-9]+";

action "service moused quietstart $cdev";
};
.. and it is not needed for touchpad in GUI

Wow. The useless use of cat (*) is now conquered by the useless use of sudo. (And why do so many docs writing people nowadays think that everyone has sudo installed & configured? You can only assume that when you're writing docs for Ubuntu based installations…)
Well I used su in place of sudo, I cd'd to home/user & used chown. For me, I was the only thing that opened the Mate desktop.

Well I used su in place of sudo, I cd'd to home/user & used chown. For me, I was the only thing that opened the Mate desktop.
If you haven't messed up your $HOME and/or user account any file you're creating inside your users $HOME as user will already have the correct ownership. Why ever you failed without su to root - that was not the reason, and root not the solution. Creating a ~/.xinitrc as user works (and has also nothing to do which desktop environment, window manager etc. is used).

Back