MATE Mate desktop (solved)

I've installed Mate on 12.2 & their are heaps of info for that on Google but I can't find anything related to the command to open it, even on dedicated Mate- Google pages.

Where do I find what the command is?

Thanks.

mate-session should start a MATE session - if installed correctly :)
I get a tirade of endless messages from Caja that I can't read, because they pass by quickly & endlessly, presumably they refer to errors.
Are their other special modifications/dependancies needed to make it work?

Please paste the errors you're encountering (and any other useful message) as a text snipped in code blocks.
Not sure what exact situation you're encountering but maybe redirecting stdout/stderr to a text file would help/work to get a hold on those messages.

I've installed Mate on 12.2 & their are heaps of info for that on Google but I can't find anything related to the command to open it, even on dedicated Google pages.

Where do I find what the command is?

Thanks.
Hello!

I am using MATE desktop every day and prefer to start it through x11/sddm login manager. SDDM does not need to be configured. An alternative login manager I have installed is x11/slim. SLIM need a little configuration, but does the same job.

For SLIM to start MATE, I have .xinitrc containing exec mate-session.
The SLIM configuration file is in /usr/local/etc/slim.conf

Please paste the errors you're encountering (and any other useful message) as a text snipped in code blocks.
Not sure what exact situation you're encountering but maybe redirecting stdout/stderr to a text file would help/work to get a hold on those messages.
The messages I get from trying to start mate are non-stop, but essentially they are continuously repeated, as per below. I have loaded the slim exec file in the usr..........xinitrc file.

Message from mate-1.24.1:
Code:
Congratulations! MATE base has been successfully installed on your system.
For help on starting it up, as well as answers to common questions, and
some known issues, please see the FreeBSD GNOME homepage at:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/
root@Mistletoe:~ # /gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so not defined
Failed to load module: /usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
Initializing caja-image-converter extension
Initializing caja-open-terminal extension
Initializing caja-xattr-tags extension
/usr/local/lib/libproxy.so.1: version LIBPROXY_0.4.16 required by /usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so not defined
/usr/local/lib/libproxy.so.1: version LIBPROXY_0.4.16 required by /usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so not defined
[1/1] Installing slim-1.3.6_22...
[1/1] Extracting slim-1.3.6_22: 100%

How did you install it?
Originally I installed packages Xorg, Slim, & Mate.
I since understand that further configuration is necessary, as follows;
nano /etc/rc.conf;
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
slim_enable="YES"
nano /etc/fstab
Code:
proc procfs rw 0 0
nano .Xinitrc
Code:
exec mate-session
init 6
stopping cron
I may have exec mate-session in .Xinitrc (I'm not sure)
To my surprise on first use of the computer today I was sent straight to the mate desktop without any of these additional commands being executed. At the desktop It asked me for a user name & password. The only user password I have is for Lumina but it would not accept that with a message 'failed to execute login command'
I also can't get into the Lumina desktop now because the startup script goes directly to the mate desktop.

Other than any command errors, above, I would like to have the option to choose the desktop to work in, not to go directly to the mate desktop & to be able to use a mate login password. I can't recall being asked for this password during configuration. I would want to use the same password, as for Lumina, but at present that doesn't work.

Thanks

How did you install it?
hald_enable="YES"

Other than any command errors, above, I would like to have the option to choose the desktop to work in, not to go directly to the mate desktop & to be able to use a mate login password. I can't recall being asked for this password during configuration. I would want to use the same as for Lumina, but at present that doesn't work.
HALD is deprecated these days. Not needed any more.

The desktop user should be in the video group in /etc/group.

nano .Xinitrc;
It's ~/.xinitrc, not ~/.Xinitrc.

init 6
stopping cron
Did you put that in .xinitrc or where those commands you typed? Don't put them in .xinitrc. And don't use init 6 to restart, use shutdown -r now. Yes, technically you can use init(8) but it won't shutdown nicely.

If you want to use SLiM use this in ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
[ -n "$1" ] && [ -x "$1" ] && exec "$1"
That way, when you hit F1 on the SLiM logon you can switch desktop environments. That fancy bit of code will then start the correct environment.

But how can I get back into the system to do any of this?
If I have to reinstall the whole 12.2 OS & using the Mate desktop option with Lumina, where/when in the configuration process does the system ask me to supply a user name & password for the Mate desktop.

But how can I get back into the system to do any of this?
If I have to reinstall the whole 12.2 OS & using the Mate desktop option with Lumina, where/when in the configuration process does the system ask me to supply a user name & password for the Mate desktop.
If I understood you correctly - when you are in Xorg based login manager or WM, you can always press Ctrl+Alt+F<1...8> to drop into one of the console terminals. Back to the WM by pressing Alt+F9. NB! This is not logout. Everything remains running. Just an instant drop into the console.

You do not have to reinstall the system - never under FreeBSD. WM is ordinary user process using Xorg. You just use one or several of your machine users. Put them into the video group in /etc/group

grep video /etc/group

If all else fails, boot to single user mode and simply remove slim_enable from /etc/rc.conf. Then start the system. You should now be able to login on the console and fix your issue.

You will have to severely screw up your system before it would require a complete reinstall of the OS. Most of the time you can simply fix or circumvent the issue from single user mode, then boot it normally and fix whatever was broken.

In your case it might be useful to have a second machine you can use to ssh(1) into this machine. Then you can easily fix a lot of issues too.

If I understood you correctly - when you are in Xorg based login manager or WM, you can always press Ctrl+Alt+F<1...8> to drop into one of the console terminals. Back to the WM by pressing Alt+F9. NB! This is not logout. Everything remains running. Just an instant drop into the console.

You do not have to reinstall the system - never under FreeBSD. WM is ordinary user process using Xorg. You just use one or several of your machine users. Put them into the video group in /etc/group

grep video /etc/group
Thanks for getting me back in. I'm forever grateful that I don't need to do a heap of work reinstalling. That truism also has been confirmed by SirDice a couple of times now. Very useful to know that! I'm convinced, at last!

Now back to the latest situation before I touch anything further & maybe mess up. The message when I try to get into Mate is as follows;
$ mate session
/usr/local/lib/libproxy.so.1:version LIBPROXY-0.4.16 required by /usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so not defined.

Failed to load module:usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
unable to init server. could not connect to 127.0.0.1 (I think cups printer was off)
** (mate-session:1260: WARNING** cannot open display

In addition I need to know how to sort out the self inflicted password problem for Mate. When I installed the OS from disk I incorrectly first up called the user 'Mistletoe', whereas later in this same early specific configuration I corrected the user name to 'dalpets'.
Below is a facsimile of where it occurs in the first few lines where it says;

Add Users
User name
....(here it should have read dalpets NOT Mistletoe)
Full name
UID (leave empty for default)
Login group

The Mate configuration has picked this error up & is incorrectly trying to use Mistletoe with my password for dalpets. Is there a way to fix this, my error.
Do I need to put the user name & password in a particular Mate config file.

/usr/local/lib/libproxy.so.1:version LIBPROXY-0.4.16 required by /usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so not defined.

Failed to load module:usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
unable to init server. could not connect to 127.0.0.1 (I think cups printer was off)
** (mate-session:1260: WARNING** cannot open display
ls -l /usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

It complains about net/libproxy

Do you have it?

Is your Xorg OK? Can you start the login manager (slim) for example? What do you have in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

If you try to use SLIM, it has also logfile /var/log/slim.log

Also tried to run mate-session as you are trying to do and as expected, it results with:
Code:
Unable to init server: Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: Connection refused                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

** (mate-session:80166): WARNING **: 20:56:09.828: Cannot open display:

That means it does not know how to start Xorg. Read mate-session(1)

If you do not like SLIM, try x11/sddm. Personally I am happy with it.

You can also read xdm(8). Maybe you can use it.

ls -l /usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

root@Mistletoe:~ # ls -l /usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 9664 Apr 8 17:45 /usr/local/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

It complains about net/libproxy

Do you have it?[/cmd]

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Argentum, post: 507495, member: 61182"]
[cmd]Is your Xorg OK? Can you start the login manager (slim) for example? What do you have in [FILE]/var/log/Xorg.0.log[/FILE]?

If you try to use SLIM, it has also logfile [FILE]/var/log/slim.log[/FILE]

Also tried to run [CMD]mate-session
as you are trying to do and as expected, it results with:
Code:
Unable to init server: Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: Connection refused                      [/cmd]                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
the slim log file says;       
[code]
slim: waiting for X server to begin accepting connections.

slim: Last login: Tue Apr 20 21:19:34 on unix:0.0
slim: waiting for X server to shut down
slim: waiting for X server to begin accepting connections.
slim: pam_authentication(): Authentication error
slim: unexpected signal 15
slim: waiting for X server to shut down

** (mate-session:80166): WARNING **: 20:56:09.828: Cannot open display:[/CODE]

That means it does not know how to start Xorg. Read mate-session(1)

If you do not like SLIM, try x11/sddm. Personally I am happy with it.

You can also read xdm(8). Maybe you can use it.

Back