MATE desktop environment

I worked on this quite a bit last night. I managed to get most of the components to build after some hair pulling and wall punching. There's still a few build errors I have to deal with, but it's going a lot smoother than I thought it would. I'll be spending more time on this when I get home from work today.

Also, I am in no way, shape, or form a programmer. I hack C and Python on the weekends and that's about it. What is trivial to someone else may be a huge headache for me. If I run into anything I absolutely can't figure out I'll be hitting up the ML.

I gave up trying to port the Makefiles over to BSD's make and started over using GNU make and things are going much smoother now.

Big fan of Gnome here currently using KDE, I was just wondering how did you do with the mate port for FreeBSD?

Good luck to you.

I've been testing MATE for a few days and can't really find anything broken to complain about :)

There was an unescaped newline in x11/mate's RUN_DEPENDS at the time, but after fixing that the install went smoothly. I've started mate-session both via GDM using the installed xsession and via SLiM using [CMD=""]ck-launch-session mate-session[/CMD] in my ~/.xinitrc.

I'm running MATE with compiz-fusion started via compiz-manager as a startup item. I got my run box back in Compiz with this workaround. I currently have MATE installed alongside gnome2 but will remove that shortly since this is perfectly stable.

The volume control applet works perfectly with snd_hda, and I was able to mount local and SSH volumes.

Cheers, great work!

http://i.imgur.com/9b8qN.png

okeeblow said:
There was an unescaped newline in x11/mate's RUN_DEPENDS at the time, but after fixing that the install went smoothly.
Ah, looks like I have committed x11/mate before I saved it in the VIM. I will fix it when I get chance today. Thanks for report!

okeeblow said:
I've started mate-session both via GDM using the installed xsession and via SLiM using [CMD=""]ck-launch-session mate-session[/CMD] in my ~/.xinitrc.
Glad that GDM works ok with MATE.

okeeblow said:
The volume control applet works perfectly with snd_hda
The sounds works. Awesome! I plan to dig in the old patches of volume/sound stuff in our GNOME 2 before it switched to pulseaudio. Just to see if there is anything useful. I have disabled pulseaudio in MATE without provide any of option. I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

I have asked my team about gstreamer VS pulseaudio and I got marcus's responed. He said, "I think gstreamer is better as it can bridge to a number of things. However, I think pulseaudio is closer to the hardware." It's one of reason I have chosen to disable pulseaudio and use gstreamer instead. If anyone like pulseaudio better for some functions (don't know if there is any difference functions?), I can add pulseaudio as an option but gstreamer still will be default.

A fresh install of Mate in FreeBSD
8ff0f5ad.png

Yes that is why I try to help Mezz. But If you have a Fresh install of FreeBSD its simple to compile mate.

Code:
fetch http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/marcusmerge
If its the first time you run portsnap:
Code:
portsnap fetch extract
If not run:
Code:
portsnap fetch update
Merge Marcus ports-experimental
Code:
sh marcusmerge -u -m ports-experimental -s /usr/src
To compile Mate:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11/mate-base
make install clean
You should have a minimal Mate install. The rest of the application is up to you. You can can find a list in /usr/ports/MC_UNMM-ports-experimental.txt of more Mate application.

ericturgeon said:
To compile Mate:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11/mate-base
make instal clean
You should have a minimal Mate install. The rest of the application is up to you. You can can find a list in /usr/ports/MC_UNMM-ports-experimental.txt of more Mate application.
Or just install the x11/mate if anyone want a complete MATE applications with the MATE desktop.

The sleep inhibit panel applet doesn't seem to inhibit screensaver under MATE. I'm using XScreensaver instead of mate-screensaver. Since MATE didn't provide a compile-time option for XScreensaver (like gnome2) I just disabled mate-screensaver as a startup item and replaced it with
Code:
xscreensaver -no-splash

Edit:

I would really love a mate-file-manager-open-terminal ala deskutils/nautilus-open-terminal :)

malco_2001 said:
When building /usr/ports/x11/mate /usr/ports/textproc/flex has to be installed first or /usr/ports/math/mate-calc will not build
Ah right, I forgot to add that one when I added a patch in the post-patch to use textproc/flex instead because it needs newer flex instead of one in the base system. I have fixed it, thanks for report.

okeeblow said:
The sleep inhibit panel applet doesn't seem to inhibit screensaver under MATE. I'm using XScreensaver instead of mate-screensaver. Since MATE didn't provide a compile-time option for XScreensaver (like gnome2) I just disabled mate-screensaver as a startup item and replaced it with
Code:
xscreensaver -no-splash
I don't know much about the screensaver. I will check to see why it doesn't work. I never have use inhibit applet before. The screensaver is pointless to me these day when monitor/LCD sleep mode is much better.

okeeblow said:
Edit:

I would really love a mate-file-manager-open-terminal ala deskutils/nautilus-open-terminal :)
That name is insane long with many dashes. They should have make it shorter. o_O

okeeblow said:

Just create that script and you will be able to open terminal (xterm in this case) in the current directory.

Code:
% [color="Blue"]cat << EOF > ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/terminal.sh[/color] 
#! /bin/sh

cd "$( echo ${NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI} | sed -E s/'[a-z]+:\/\/'//g -e s/%20/\ /g )" && xterm

% [color="blue"]chmod +x ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/terminal.sh[/color]

Maybe the path is different for MATE file manager, I do not know where it keeps its scripts and configurations, you need to change that.

It looks like that:
vZjR2cQ

mezz@ said:
The screensaver is pointless to me these day when monitor/lcd sleep mode is much better.

Yeah, kind of. I just use it for screen locking, but I like to toggle the inhibit applet so my screen doesn't lock when I'm watching something or playing a game on my other machine via Synergy.

Edit:

I ended up granting my own request. Here's mate-file-manager-open-terminal:

1nsKv.png

Attachments

• mate-file-manager-open-terminal.shar
    5.5 KB · Views: 327
mezz@ said:
I don't know much about the screensaver. I will check to see why it doesn't work. I never have use inhibit applet before. The screensaver is pointless to me these day when monitor/lcd sleep mode is much better.
I have been testing with the inhibit applet a lot yesterday. It seems to work perfect here. I have set the screensaver to a minute with lock option. I have tested it for five minutes to have the screensaver came out at five times. Then click on the inhibit applet to disable the screensaver and the screensaver never comes out hours. When I enable it by click on the inhibit applet and the screensaver came out perfect in a minute. I did it repeat for three times.

The strange is that... When I removed the inhibit applet and disable screensaver to go back to my default settings. Now the LCD sleep mode doesn't come out anymore. Mumbles... Going to be fun to figure on it.

okeeblow said:
I ended up granting my own request. Here's mate-file-manager-open-terminal
Thanks, I have committed it with a bit tweak. Thanks!

http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-b...al/deskutils/mate-file-manager-open-terminal/

Back