MATE MATE delay dragging windows

I think at this point in my upcoming transition to FreeBSD, I have chosen to use MATE for my DE. I have one concern however, and I have seen this problem on more than one box. That is, some windows will have a very latent reaction from my mouse input to the motion being displayed on the monitor, by even 0.5-1 seconds. I have noticed this more with terminal windows. Is this a problem with a known fix? Right now I'm using a really old desktop with an AMD Phenom, but I'm mainly interested in what I will have to do for my desktop which is using a Ryzen 1600 with a GTX 1070, and I expect to use the Nvidia proprietary drivers. I installed the xf86-video-ati package since this test desktop has integrated AMD graphics (Radeon HD 3200), that mostly fixed the issue.

I've got a Thinkpad T400 that has Switchable Graphics with Intel GMA 4500MHD and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 running FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p10, it uses the Radeon. I also have a Gateway with an AMD Phenom II x 3 N830 Triple Core @ 2.1GHz and ATI Mobilty Radeon HD 4250 I've ran FreeBSD on in the past.

The windows on both machines are/were instantly responsive. The only issue I've ever had with either of them is using Force Pseudo-Transparency with x11-wm/fluxbox, which broke native transparency in my terminal. Turning it off fixed it.

The only time I've had a problem with windows dragging was when it wasn't using the right driver and that should be the right one for your chip.

Edit: Are you sure it isn't that you're low on resources? How much RAM do you have and what CPU? My T43 will lag sometime.

Ahhh you got it right. xorg.conf wasn't loading the module. This is a pretty underwhelming box anyways. 4GB of RAM and I'm pretty sure AMD's first quad core CPU from 09. Everything is running nice and smooth now.

My only issue at this point is MATE is doing an awful job at editing menu items. For example, I accidentally deleted the "Internet" sub-menu. To get it to show up again, I had to delete it, log out, move the Internet menu up one, close out of the menu editor and repeat until it's where I want it, log out, and then the changes appear. :what:

Most of my machines are Core2 Duo with 4GB RAM so I run x11-wm/fluxbox on them all. I'd give the WM of your choice a try and see how it performed compared to a DE.

Most of my machines are Core2 Duo with 4GB RAM so I run x11-wm/fluxbox on them all. I'd give the WM of your choice a try and see how it performed compared to a DE.
It's a waste. My system is the same as you and I'm running full MATE on Trisquel Linux and full XFCE4 on FreeBSD.

@To the OP: I've experienced the same problem, too. But not FreeBSD. It's Xubuntu 12.04.

It's a waste. My system is the same as you and I'm running full MATE on Trisquel Linux and full XFCE4 on FreeBSD.

Desktop Environments are something I generally associate with Windows. Do you have a bunch of icons on your desktop, too?

I'm still waiting to see a screenshot of your FreeBSD desktop. I asked when you were going to finally show one back on Feb 25th and you have yet to post one.

Or do you really just run Linux?

I really want to get i3 or herbstluftwm working right but I think my biggest issue is I'm trying to figure out how to set it up to work right. Herbstluft I found is pretty straightforward and out of the box the way I want it, but I haven't been a big fan of the documentation. I may give flux another chance. I'm playing with a lot of options right now. I'm certain my requirements can be met with a good WM and a bar. Can you get system notifications? I use those a lot for work

Desktop Environments are something I generally associate with Windows. Do you have a bunch of icons on your desktop, too?
I know this wasn't pointed at me, but desktop icons make me cringe hehe

I really want to get i3 or herbstluftwm working right but I think my biggest issue is I'm trying to figure out how to set it up to work right. Herbstluft I found is pretty straightforward and out of the box the way I want it, but I haven't been a big fan of the documentation. I may give flux another chance. I'm playing with a lot of options right now. I'm certain my requirements can be met with a good WM and a bar. Can you get system notifications? I use those a lot for work

I think Minbari uses i3 as their WM and could be most helpful in that area. (He's probably mad at me, I've had his name misspelled on my site the last 2 months. :sssh: )

I use sysutils/gkrellm2 for system stats. You can monitor a number of things as well as /var/log/pflog and I keep visible at all times whether I'm surfing the net or whatever. I lke to keep a close eye on what's going on with my machines as far as what processes are running too, and usually keep a second terminal open running top, and having 2 open comes in handy for me. You can aslo open a x11/xconsole window as root with the --daemon flag and it will free up the terminal it was called from, but it's of minimal use IMO.

I've posted dozens of screenshots but just recently reworked my x11-wm]fluxbox config. This is a good representation of all my desktops with the configuration that maximizes my workspace and style of work:

fonts.png

And no icons. ;)

That's a nice looking setup! There are so many options that it's hard to make a decision! I just kind of add stuff and disable as I go on my test machine until I find what I want. Right now I'm using Kubuntu but have found some peculiar instabilities and insanely high memory usage. I have Keepassxc, music player, nextcloud sync, atom text editor and about 10 tabs open in FF and I'm looking at about 5.3GiB memory usage!

That's the machine I use as my everyday desktop, what I use when working on my website and only has 4GB RAM. I always keep the apps shown open, but can have 20 or so images open at once in graphics/gimp, as many instances of editors/leafpad open and a browser window open to check my work while listening to music.

I can have them all open on the desktop or minimized and track them from the toolbar and never notice any slowdown.

I've been starting to become a bit dissatisfied with heavier DEs because they take too much away from system resources that I could be using (especially since I do quite a bit of virtualization). Don't know if I could work with leafpad though, I've been spoiled by good IDEs like Atom and VSCode, learning to set up editors/neovim to do what I want too

I'm most productive with editor/leafpad. I write all my own markup and if I've typed it once there's no need for me to do so again. I do a lot of copy and paste from work I've already done and when I do work have them maximized to full-screen. It's easier to see the big picture and where I'm at with my text.

I can use editors/vim, and love to use ee from the login terminal, but can get a lot more done quicker with Leafpad.

I'm still waiting to see a screenshot of your FreeBSD desktop. I asked when you were going to finally show one back on Feb 25th and you have yet to post one.

Or do you really just run Linux?
I'm running Windows :) Just kidding, I'm mainly on the Web so I left my XFCE desktop default configuration and it's alike across Linuxes and BSDs so nothing special to show. And even if I show, you still can point at me and said I'm a fraud for taking a random image on the net ;) I don't know if my mind is crazy but I like what other people call ugly. For example: I prefer Metal look and feel over Windows/GTK/Nimbus even on their respectively platform. About XFCE, I'm only need Font setting to be Slight/RGB and done.

I'm most productive with editor/leafpad. I write all my own markup and if I've typed it once there's no need for me to do so again. I do a lot of copy and paste from work I've already done and when I do work have them maximized to full-screen. It's easier to see the big picture and where I'm at with my text.

I can use editors/vim, and love to use ee from the login terminal, but can get a lot more done quicker with Leafpad.
I love leafpad, too. But I wonder, if you have a X server to use leafpad why don't just go with something gtk-sourceview based like Pluma/Gedit/Mousepad and prefer that f*ckin vim?

Back