Man pages in PS

Is there a site where all the man pages have been converted to postscript already, or a script that will convert all the ones on my system?

What are you trying to do?

The -t option to man will produce PS output. Could do that for all of them with find(1).

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi has all the man pages online, although they're not PS. OTOH, it's not just FreeBSD pages, and is handy for looking up Linux options when converting commands to FreeBSD.

How to print man pages with gnome

I've found that since I've started printing out man pages they become much more useful, and I can annotate them as I go.

For those who are having trouble with this, I type
$ man desired_man_page -t > desired_man_page.ps

Then I open up file browser in gnome, find the file desired_man_page.ps, open it up with document viewer and print it.

carlton_draught said:
I've found that since I've started printing out man pages they become much more useful, and I can annotate them as I go.

For those who are having trouble with this, I type
$ man desired_man_page -t > desired_man_page.ps

Then I open up file browser in gnome, find the file desired_man_page.ps, open it up with document viewer and print it.

yup!!! If you wanted you could save some hd space and pipe it directly to your printer:

% man desired_man_page -t | lpr
btw -t is actually triggering groff.

UNIXgod said:
yup!!! If you wanted you could save some hd space and pipe it directly to your printer:

% man desired_man_page -t | lpr
btw -t is actually triggering groff.
Unfortunately when I do that, I get:
Code:
lpr: lp: unknown printer

Probably just ignorance on my part, but now I have printing set up in gnome, printing the ps is easy. As an added bonus, for long man pages I can also easily print 2 pages per sheet.

lpr(1), the real lpr, not the CUPS one, defaults to a printer named "lp". That error happens when "lp" isn't defined in /etc/printcap. You're probably using CUPS, which is a whole different issue.

Back