making port in single user mode

Hi,

I wonder if making a package from a port in single user mode will get the same package as in multi-user mode. My notebook always crashes because the temperature exceeds the safety limit when compiling such ports as openjdk6, libreoffice, gcc. I want to have as minimal processes running as possible during compiling in order to avoid high temperature.

My machine is
Code:
[mni] ~% uname -a
FreeBSD mni.jes.in.th 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #12: Fri May  4 21:58:45 ICT 2012     
[email]root@mni.jes.in.th[/email]:/kaitag/obj/usr/src/sys/JOTAWSKI  amd64

[mni] ~% sysctl hw.acpi.thermal
hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 57.5C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 102.0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TC1: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TC2: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TSP: -1
at this moment of posting.

Many thanks in advance for any hints and helps.

jotawski said:
I wonder if one making package from port in single user mode will get the same package as in multi-user mode.
Yes, it should. There's no reason why they would be different. The only difference between single and multiuser mode is what else is running on the machine.

Drop to single user mode from multi user mode. Network will work.

If booted to single user mode you can start /etc/rc.d/netif and /etc/rc.d/routing.

SirDice said:
Drop to single user mode from multi user mode. Network will work.

If booted to single user mode you can start /etc/rc.d/netif and /etc/rc.d/routing.

This is really useful since dropping into single user from multi-user mode will have ten (10) degrees higher than entering into single user mode directly.

Keep in mind when booting straight to single user mode, only the root file system will be mounted, read-only.

For a 'regular' UFS system this should do the trick:
Code:
fsck -y
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs
swapon -a

After that you can start the network or just configure the interface by hand. You can also start a more convenient shell like tcsh(1).

SirDice said:
Keep in mind when booting straight to single user mode, only the root file system will be mounted, read-only.

For a 'regular' UFS system this should do the trick:
Code:
fsck -y
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs
swapon -a

After that you can start the network or just configure the interface by hand. You can also start a more convenient shell like tcsh(1).

Many thanks indeed SirDice. I normally do this when directly dropping into single user mode, assuming that all file systems are marked as clean,
Code:
# adjkerntz -i
# swapon -a
# mount -a

I also put such neccessary environment variables like MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX in /root/.profile in addition to in /etc/make.conf

Have you tried cleaning the fans, cleaning the heat dissipation grills and reapplying thermal paste to the CPU/heat-sink contact?

vsoto said:
Have you tried cleaning the fans, cleaning the heat dissipation grills and reapplying thermal paste to the CPU/heat-sink contact?

I have not tried that since that will open the case of my fragile notebook. Many thanks indeed for your hints about this and for your times.

jotawski said:
I have not tried that since that will open the case of my fragile notebook. Many thanks indeed for your hints about this and for your times.

If your machine is overheating, cleaning the fans and heat dissipation grills should be the first step, everything else is just a band-aid if the reason the processor overheats is that heat is not being properly dissipated. Most laptops/notebooks make the fans and grills accessible with minimal disassembly. It is routine maintenance after all.

vsoto said:
If your machine is overheating, cleaning the fans and heat dissipation grills should be the first step, everything else is just a band-aid if the reason the processor overheats is that heat is not being properly dissipated. Most laptops/notebooks make the fans and grills accessible with minimal disassembly. It is routine maintenance after all.

I see, and I take your suggestions. I will bring it to the nearest shop.
All suggestions are appreciated, _/\_

Back