Making a freebsd workstation

Out of curiosity, do you plan to just learn programming, or to run some scientific computing software on the FreeBSD workstat
Depends on your point of view. For me, Nvidia cards work exceptionally well with FreeBSD, are easy to set up, and support some things that the others don’t (e.g. multi GPU support doesn’t work with Intel or AMD, as far as I know).
But CUDA is not supported correct?

Out of curiosity, do you plan to just learn programming, or to run some scientific computing software on the FreeBSD workstation?
Well i'm constantly learning something. What exactly did you mean by scientific computing? If you meant machine learning/ai, then the answer is yes. Data science, not really as of right now

Well i'm constantly learning something. What exactly did you mean by scientific computing? If you meant machine learning/ai, then the answer is yes. Data science, not really as of right now
I know it's not very trendy, but should you want to use GNU-Prolog (the only conformant free open source Prolog implementation I'm aware of), I'm sorry it does not pass the tests...
Code:
| ?- validate.
Testing directives Section 7.4
Goal: setof(_82,mf7_4(_82),_86)
gave unexpected value: [mf2]
expected value: [mf1,mf2]
Done testing section 7.4.
Starting tests for Section 7.8
plus some minor flaws with floating point precision - likely minor things. I'm investigating that, focussing on the setof/3 topic, hopefully I'll find a fix. If you want to chime in, drop me a note.

I realize you've got experience with Arch and aren't a beginner but I've got a Beginners Tutorial that covers a lot of basic questions you asked in your OP.

You can take what you find helpful and ignore the rest. I would stick to the ports tree or pkg for the programs I installed as much as possible though if I were you.

By scientific computing, I mean those heavy load applications in areas like physics simulation or math modelling, for example, fluid analysis, stress analysis, electromagnetic analysis, etc, even CAD modelling. Since you say you are setting up a workstation, and typically a workstation is meant to be used for these applications. As far as I know, FreeBSD doesn't support those applications very well, if any support.

By scientific computing, I mean those heavy load applications in areas like physics simulation or math modelling, for example, fluid analysis, stress analysis, electromagnetic analysis, etc, even CAD modelling. Since you say you are setting up a workstation, and typically a workstation is meant to be used for these applications. As far as I know, FreeBSD doesn't support those applications very well, if any support.
I'm sorry, don0^Ht wn^hant to offend you, but your statement is outright plain bullshit. Period.
I'm sorry, don0^Ht wn^hant to offend you, but your statement is not accurate. Period.

EDIT Telling "don't want to offend", then using impolite words... Welcome to Contradictistan. What I had in mind is that there's a plethora of ports in $PORTSDIR/{astro,biology,cad,math,science}, e.g. science/py-tensorflow or math/labplot, math/cantor & a whole buch of math/R-cran-* & math/octave-* as well as scientific libraries in C/C++ & other languages; and if a BSD'ized version for your desired application is not available, you can (in most cases) run it via the Linuxolator or emulators/wine.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: a6h

The applications mentioned aren't part of my normal desktop use but FreeBSD supports the W520 I use very well and it's considered a workstation according to ThinkWiki:

ThinkPad W: High-end mobile workstations for CAD and digital art, supersedes the entire T series 'p' variants.

Thinkpad W520
Intel Quad Core i7-2760QM @ 2.40GHz
8 GB RAM PC3-10600
Hitachi Travelstar 7K750 500GB HDD @ 7200 RPM
Nvidia Quadro 1000M with 2GB DDR3 and Optimus (in use)
15.6" TFT display with 1920x1080 (FHD) resolution with LED backlight

I have two with the same specs with the exception of a Gen 2 i7 upgrade on the other. I gott it for $286 delivered off ebay and it was most expensive of the two.

Trihexagonal, it's not about the hardware, but the applications. That stickybeak is just not aware that the BeaSD is well capable to drive a scientific workstation, maybe (likely?) 'cause s/he's a linuxinated creep.

Trihexagonal, it's not about the hardware, but the applications. bxbzq is just not aware that the BeaSD is well capable to drive a scientific workstation, maybe (likely?) 'cause s/he's not aware of the choices FreeBSD has to offer & what is available in the ports(7) tree. See the corrected version of my previous post.

EDIT See my previous post. Not only it's inappropriate to use rude language, even more embarrassing is that in most cases this in done intentionally to push the receipient down & to raise oneself above, and I did... I wish I had better written the corrected version, and/or went to bed earlier.

Last edited:
Trihexagonal, it's not about the hardware, but the applications.
That stickybeak is just not aware that the BeaSD is well capable to drive a scientific workstation, maybe (likely?)...

Yes, I know.

The applications mentioned aren't part of my normal desktop use but FreeBSD supports the W520 I use very well and it's considered a workstation...
I just wanted it to be clear as far as hardware goes FreeBSD supports my workstation/.mp3 player.

Trihexagonal, it's not about the hardware, but the applications. That stickybeak is just not aware that the BeaSD is well capable to drive a scientific workstation, maybe (likely?) 'cause s/he's a linuxinated creep.

I feel sorry for this community because of dickhead like you hanging around for opportunity to offend people.

Well capable of != well support.
Bolt is well capable of playing football doesn't mean he plays it very well.

I have no interests or intention to stir the pot, but you just can't face the simple fact. How many mainstream scientific computing software have FreeBSD distributions or are well supported by FreeBSD? How many of them can be properly installed by an ordinary IT guy within an hour?

I"m not from Linux world and am not coming to this forum to diminish FreeBSD. I just started learning FreeBSD as my hobby and find it very interesting. That said, it doesn't mean FreeBSD is meant to be for all types of application.

Damn, I feel my day is just ruined by a moron.

As far as I know, FreeBSD doesn't support those applications very well, if any support.
True.
FreeBSD focus is servers.
Many reasons why there is little interest in using FreeBSD for graphical applications. I refrain from naming some, please understand I don't want to risk offending people.

Regarding Mjölnir 's behavior, I am speechless, too. I guess he must have had a drinking binge yesterday.
Not good to do that when online. But such things are rare here in the forums, luckily.

Actually that’s not necessary when you just want to use the Nvidia GPU and ignore other GPUs present in the system. Simply install the Nvidia driver only. If there are multiple Nvidia GPUs, the Nvidia driver picks all of them up automatically, and you will be able to configure them with the nvidia-settings utility.

Not all nvidia cards work with the nv driver presented during driver selection while building x11/xorg.

My Thinkpad T61 uses the x11/nvidia-driver-340 while my Thinkpad W520 with Optimus takes the x11/nvidia-driver-304 and needs set to Discreet in the BIOS to use nvidia.

I always install and run nvidia-xconfig first, too.

FreeBSD does have a lot of scientific and mathematical programs/use. However, it lacks GPU computing needed for some advanced scientific/mathematical use. Meaning, mathematical/scientific computing that requires a graphics card.

For instance there's a lot in the science, astronomy and mathematical categories. There's also Python, which can be used for scientific computing. One that is missing is Julia: it was available for a short time.

While this is good, there's still a lot missing, including for GPU computing.

This detail is lacking from this conversation. There may be more, but this is what I know of.

Back to the topic of the desktop part of a workstation: Thread how-to-light-desktop-setup.64623. It's about 3 years old, but is still relevant for a lot.

Damn, I feel my day is just ruined by a moron.
As High Priest of the Yea BeaSD please accept my humble apology in his place.

For I fear our Our Brother Mjolnir hath fallen victim to the Extra Evil purchased by Bill "Gates of Hell" from Satan.

Twas twice three minus one months I caught him unaware in the Moon's pale glow, running to and fro, naked amongst the LQ forum flock following Spring Equinox.

My menacing malevolence momentarily caused his senses to return, and when found himself free range running reckless in the midst of their flock, far from there he fled in a flash, to I knoweth not where.

Remember him therefore in your Daily Rituals that he may return to us unharmed, where his mirth and humor are sorely missed by all.

Can I get an amen!

As High Priest of the Yea BeaSD please accept my humble apology in his place.

For I fear our Our Brother Mjolnir hath fallen victim to the Extra Evil purchased by Bill "Gates of Hell" from Satan.

Twas twice three minus one months I caught him unaware in the Moon's pale glow, running to and fro, naked amongst the LQ forum flock following Spring Equinox.

My menacing malevolence momentarily caused his senses to return, and when found himself free range running reckless in the midst of their flock, far from there he fled in a flash, to I knoweth not where.

Remember him therefore in your Daily Rituals that he may return to us unharmed, where his mirth and humor are sorely missed by all.

Can I get an amen!
Google translation doesn't tell me much, but, AMEN.

Google translation doesn't tell me much, but, AMEN.
That's because you don't see the big picture, and no fault of your own

You don't take nto account who I was addressing, my quote, haven't been around long enough know Mjolnir, what Ya BeaSD is from his posts or that I was appointed High Priest and speaking in that role.

So you don't know what I was talking about, it makes no sense to you and my apology as bxbzq incomprehensible for Google Translate as it is for you.

This has happened more than once lately. I believe I know why and will address it in the Stopping Something thread.

Back