Making a disk bootable

Can I make a non-FreeBSD disk/USB stick bootable using something like gpart bootcode -b /boot/bootxyz da0 for making a DOS or Linux bootable? If FreeBSD doesn't have the appropriate code what could I use instead?

Wikipedia has a fairly lengthy article on the MBR. I would expect gpart to work. It would be a good idea to practice on a USB stick that has nothing important on it though.

FreeBSD's MBR bootcode only boots FreeBSD, it specifically searches for the other FreeBSD bootstages. You might be able to use boot0cfg(8) though, but it will only work on MBR.

FreeBSD contains a additional MBR bootloader /boot/boot0 who provides a small boot-menu. This can chain-load the boot-sectors of other operating systems as well. I know this working with FreeBSD and Windows.
I don't know if Linux would boot like this, because Linux comes allways with GRUB. Does the Linux loader "LILO" still exist?

Probably because you're trying to write an MBR to a slice instead of a disk.

I have read round there, that GPT it's more efficient. Anyway, search in the handbook. I don't remember it well. I think that it was in the handbook.

Back