"make config" can't live without root

Hi everyone!

I've just thought about moving everything related to ports out of standard /usr/ports and /var/db/ports locations in order to be able to work with ports tree (update, configure, build, etc.) on another partition (which is larger, faster, safer, etc.) and without being root (for safety), but the only unpleasant thing which keeps me from finalizing my idea is basically make utility itself!

After reading man ports I add the following to make.conf:
Code:
PORTSDIR=/home/ports
PACKAGES=${PORTSDIR}/PACKAGES
PORT_DBDIR=${PORTSDIR}/CONFIG

Now I can fetch, update and build with user, but I cannot configure options - "make" still wants root-user to write into location writable for user (here /home/ports/CONFIG/), but it should not:
Code:
> cd /home/ports/x11-wm/dwm/ && make config
===>  Switching to root credentials to create /home/ports/CONFIG/dwm
Password:
What am I doing wrong?

After seeking through configs in the ports tree a little bit, I find makefile option "INSTALL_AS_USER=" and add it to my make.conf.
After that (with x11-wm/dwm as an example) CONFIG/dwm dir gets successfully created as user (after doing make config again), I configure dwm with dialog, but another trouble appears:

Code:
===>  Switching to root credentials to write /home/ports/CONFIG/dwm/options
Password:
Very strange! Newly created CONFIG/dwm dir is owned and writable by user of course, but what a stupidity to ask for root to write in it!

I'm not an expert in these scripts and would be grateful for any help and advice to fix the trouble!
Again, I just wanted to make config and build ports as user, but only install them in system as root.

Thanks.

Did you have a look at the SU_CMD ? Default value is /usr/bin/su root -c, you should be able to pverwrite this.

All this happens just because some CLEVER PERSON wrote on LINE 6131 of /ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk:
Code:
if [ ${UID} != 0 -a "x${INSTALL_AS_USER}" = "x" ]; then \
while it should be something like
Code:
.if ${UID} != 0 && !defined(INSTALL_AS_USER)
as it is in line 6094 and further

So if you want to CONFIGURE PORT AS USER you have to add some rubbish (like "YES" or "NO" or something) to INSTALL_AS_USER= in /etc/make.conf because of that clever person's decision

Looks like both would do the same thing, requiring INSTALL_AS_USER to be set if you're not root.

wblock@ said:
Looks like both would do the same thing, requiring INSTALL_AS_USER to be set if you're not root.
In the second case it needs to be just set (defined), in the first case it needs to be SET TO SOMETHING, otherwise it won't work (test it for yourself if you don't believe me).

Back