make "all-depends-list" vs. combined "build-depends-list" and "run-depends-list"

I'm not sure that I understand these commands.

From only a glance at their names, my first thought was that make all-depends-list | sort would probably give output equivalent to (make build-depends-list; make run-depends-list) | sort | uniq. But a lot more things show up in all-depends-list than in the combination of build-depends-list and run-depends-list.

So then I thought, well, maybe all-depends-list calculates recursively, while the other two do not. But man ports says:
Code:
     run-depends-list, build-depends-list
                          Print a list of all the compile and run
                          dependencies, and dependencies of those
                          dependencies, by port directory.

all-depends-list     Print a list of all dependencies for the port.
To me, that seems to be saying that run-depends-list and build-depends-list are calculating recursively, while all-depends-list may or may not be.

Am I misunderstanding man ports? Or is man ports wrong about this? Or are there some sort of dependencies other than run dependencies and build dependencies that I don't know about, and are included in all-depends-list? Or is there some other thing I'm not getting?

I'm not sure that I understand these commands.

From only a glance at their names, my first thought was that make all-depends-list | sort would probably give output equivalent to (make build-depends-list; make run-depends-list) | sort | uniq. But a lot more things show up in all-depends-list than in the combination of build-depends-list and run-depends-list.
There is also lib-depends, and a few other.

To get the raw depends out of the Makefile, without recursion, you can use something like
Code:
for i in PKG EXTRACT PATCH FETCH BUILD LIB RUN TEST; do
  make -V ${i}_DEPENDS
done

Back