MacBook trouble installing DE

Unfortunately, the forum's psychic reading facility is currently down for maintenance.

You will have to supply some more information than you have so far if anyone is to usefully help you solve whatever the problem might be.

Version 12: MacBook late 2008.
Thanks for reply, I really would like to use the MacBook with Freebsd 12 and only a window manager.

MacBooks by default cause troubles :)
Everything depends on hardware equiped in particular MacBook version.

If GUI is not starting, looks like GPU is not recognized or supported.
Please log on to your system and type in console

pciconf -lv

From the output, identify what is your graphic card.
When you provide us its manufacturer and model, we can check which driver might be able to support your machine.

This should be covered in vgapci@ section. If you cannot find it or it is displayed as none@ that means your graphic card is unsupported.

Try using the VESA driver. You have to save the code snippet below in a text file in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-vesa.conf. You have to be root to do that.

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Card0"
    Driver    "vesa"
EndSection

PS: I just tried booting FreeBSD on my 2017 MacBook 12". I could make X work with using the scfb driver. In the code snippet above, just replace vesa with scfb.

Try using the VESA driver. You have to save the code snippet below in a text file in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-vesa.conf. You have to be root to do that.

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Card0"
    Driver    "vesa"
EndSection

PS: I just tried booting FreeBSD on my 2017 MacBook 12". I could make X work with using the scfb driver. In the code snippet above, just replace vesa with scfb.
My MacBook is the exactly the same model as yours. Just tried FreeBSD-12.0 live on it, both the keyboard and the touchpad won't work. How did you make yours work?

On mine iMAc I am using /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-scfb.conf
and I have in:
Code:
Section "Device"
              Identifier "Card0"
              Driver "scfb"
EndSection
and it work (I am using Openbox).

And what is your error?

Back