Macbook PRO installer freeze

Hello, I am trying to install FreeBSD 8.0 amd64 on my Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro and was running into a problem.

When I boot the install CD, it starts printing hardware information and appears to freeze at:

Code:
acpi0: <APPLE Apple00> on motherboard

I waited several minutes and it didn't do anything. Is there something I am doing wrong or is there a bug in the installer?

Thanks for any help,
Ummon

User23 said:

I tried to install 8.0-RELEASE on my MacBook a couple of months ago, and I also had the installation hang up. I did a websearch and found the link posted by User23, but I didn't understand what to do with it. What does it mean to "revert" r189055? Do I need to do something with the installation CD?

I haven't done so yet, but I think it means to install FreeBSD 7.x. :( Perhaps it may also be possible to change the ACPI handling code back to the 7.x version, and compile FreeBSD 8.0 from source. However, that is something I am not experienced enough to do.

Thanks ummon. Maybe I'll try 7.3 sometime.

I never had an Apple until this MacBook, and I hate the OS! I loaded Ubuntu beside it and I'm very happy with that -- been using it on and off since 5.04 Hoary Hedgehog -- but I think I might really enjoy FreeBSD . . . if I can ever get it installed!

Yes. Could one of those lucky enough to have FreeBSD already installed do us unfortunate people a favor and build freebsd with the ACPI revision reverted? :e

ummon said:
Yes. Could one of those lucky enough to have FreeBSD already installed do us unfortunate people a favor and build freebsd with the ACPI revision reverted? :e
I have a computer with FreeBSD and now I'm trying to install FreeBSD on another computer (a Mac Mini). I'm wiling to do the job but how do you actually do it?

you could also try pc-bsd bootonly/net-install disk since it has an option to install FreeBSD and it works on a macbook.

@ummon, @Miah: have you tried disabling acpi from the boot menu? Perhaps this will allow you to install the os.

tingo said:
@ummon, @Miah: have you tried disabling acpi from the boot menu? Perhaps this will allow you to install the os.

Sorry if this has an obvious answer, but how do you do that? I never get the chance to give any input when I boot the installer. I just tell my firmware to boot from the CD, and it tries to do that, and I think it succeeds in loading the installer or maybe the bootloader for the installer and then I get the crash at the ACPI.

As for how to compile with the ACPI changes reverted, I have no clue (I'm not experience enough to know how to tweak these things and make custom compiles).

Btw I just installed 7.3-RELEASE i386 and it seems to work just fine. The only drawback is that it only recognizes 2.8 GB of RAM instead of 4 GB. I haven't tried the PAE kernel but someone said that it causes the computer to hang. And it appears that the amd64 version of any FreeBSD release wouldn't work at all, at least in intel mac mini.

lunaticitizen: I have a Macbook Pro and was considering installing FreeBSD on it in the near future. Did you try the amd64 arch 7.3 release on your Macbook Pro or just the Mac Mini?

OP: Did you ever get it running disabling ACPI? After you boot from the CD, disabling ACPI should be the second or third option on the list.

leopard said:
lunaticitizen: I have a Macbook Pro and was considering installing FreeBSD on it in the near future. Did you try the amd64 arch 7.3 release on your Macbook Pro or just the Mac Mini?

OP: Did you ever get it running disabling ACPI? After you boot from the CD, disabling ACPI should be the second or third option on the list.
I only have a Mac Mini and the releases I have tried to install are 8.0 i386, 8.0 amd64, and 7.3 i386. So far it only works with 7.3 i386. I haven't tried PAE kernel but according to this post it doesn't work.

trev said:
This has no effect - I have tried it before.

It appears something usb related with the boot loader,
First of all, it will not count down to 10, if you don't hit anything for about 3 seconds, it will automatically start booting the default, and the counter will still say "10"

If you hit anything other, it appears to take it off to no-where land or something, because it will just hang at "all memory above 4gig will be ignored"

When I hit the space bar, to pause it, the counter then read "-61730"
so this tells me, something strange happening with bootloader & usb.

What I am trying to say, disabling the ACPI might actually work, but it appears this option isn't really being passed when you select #2.

Installing 7.3.

Hi, im trying to install 7.3 (everything works out nicely) but the installer screws the other two partitions. I dont understand the fdisk manual. How can I fix the partitions?

fdsik.

Well. I managed to fix the problem with darwins fdisk-tool. But the keymap is veery wrong. what keymap works? (I have a swedish macbook pro 7,1)

uchman said:
Well. I managed to fix the problem with darwins fdisk-tool. But the keymap is veery wrong. what keymap works? (I have a swedish macbook pro 7,1)
Was there no Swedish keymap listed when you did the installation with sysinstall? I was able to install Japanese keymap here and it works just fine.

Yes there is. But it seems to be another problem. No keymaps seems to work actually.

What model of MacBook Pro do you have and what version of FreeBSD did you install?

Sorry I didn't post earlier. I can't disable the ACPI because I never get to the boot screen. Before I have selected any option, the installer hangs.

Has anyone found a suitable solution for this? I also have a Macbook Pro 5, 1 and have the same problem as the OP. I've also looked at the references to revert back to whatever revision. I also don't understand what I should do with it.

Back