Macbook PRO installer freeze

From what I understand, in order to revert that change, you would need to install a 7.x version, revert that change in the 8.x update data, and then apply 8.x.

Of course, this is a moot point for both you and me (I have a 5,1 as well) because 7.x won't install either.

I've asked if there's another way to generate a boot disk without having FreeBSD installed in the first place. No explanation nor any premade disk has as of yet been forthcoming. Right now it's impossible to tell if that one revision is holding us back or if there' more to it, because right now, from what I understand and with the truly minimal feedback I've been given, installing on a MBP5,1 is simply impossible.

Hello,

I have a Macbook 6,1 and have the same problem with 8.0 and 8.1-RC2 (i386), disabling ACPI does get the kernel further but it freezes again after receiving some errors about memory and devices, and then finally on an error about the ohci/USB subsystem.

It looks like I'm going to try 7.3 and/or a couple of AMD64 builds to see if I can get any further; It's a shame because FreeBSD could be a perfect OS for macbooks, I hope the issue is resolved in the upcoming 8.1-RELEASE.

Isn't mac os x "a perfect OS for macbook"?

Haha, well... I'm not an Apple fanboy and only got this macbook after tiring of hacking OS X to run on my other hardware as a general, well-supported 'desktop' OS -- it doesn't cover all my needs though, and I've always been a FreeBSD+OpenBSD user too so... :p

7.3 kernel+sys boots fine on the Macbook 6,1 by the way.

Just a quick update. 7.3 has some issues with the Apple USB keyboard as described in the link below. After 2 attempts with an old external USB keyboard (also Apple :/) I eventually got a working system but the keyboard situation is so sensitive that I haven't been able to login yet (characters appear as extended ASCII/ansi-style symbols).

I found this which reports the same keyboard problems and also some more info on fixing 8/9 so that it will boot on newer Macbooks:

http://old.nabble.com/Keyboard-problem-with-new-MacBook-Pro.-td28354669.html

Thanks for the updates. I still want to get into FreeBSD but I think I may buy a separate machine for it. For years I had a desktop machine partitioned 10 different ways with many flavours of Linux and I enjoyed that very much. But my MacBook 6,1 is working nicely with Ubuntu, and I don't have much space left anyway, so I'll probably leave it alone to ensure I have a working machine.

It's unfortunate that I've never gotten FreeBSD to load though. I don't mind having to set up everything else -- in fact, I look forward to it -- but when I can't even get a base system to run! :\

I'm sorry to hear that rah. To be honest Ubuntu 10.xx is probably the most suitable UNIX-like OS/Linux distro for the MB6,1 for hardware compatibility at the moment. This issue with macbooks has been known for nearly a year, since before the final 8.0-RELEASE - I was kind of hoping that 8.1R would've fixed it (there're even some notes referring to it in the old 8.0 TODO list - http://wiki.freebsd.org/8.0TODO).

If I don't reinstall Linux onto that part of the disk I'll probably just keep the half-working 7.3 install until some proper patches to fix all macbook boot issues are available - it's certainly not practical to run 8.0 userland with a 7.3 kernel ;).

I hope you do get a separate machine to install FreeBSD onto - it truly is a great, stable and secure OS... but not without its quirks! :p

Just to confirm that the same type of freezing (after the acpi0: <APPLE Apple00> on motherboard) occurs with the latest Mac Mini Server, and FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE

No doubt the hardware has a lot in common with the latest Macbook here is some info on it:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini aluminum
Model Identifier: Macmini4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MM41.0042.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.65f2

NVidia MCP89 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia
Product: MCP89 AHCI
Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

Hitachi HTS725050A9A362:

Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)
Model: Hitachi HTS725050A9A362
Revision: PC4ACB1E
Serial Number: 100525PCG420VLJ07J2C
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Rotational Rate: 7200
Medium Type: Rotational
Bay Name: Lower
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Capacity: 1 MB (1,048,576 bytes)
Writable: Yes
BSD Name: disk0s1
Capacity: 488.74 GB (488,742,322,176 bytes)
File System: MS-DOS
BSD Name: disk0s2
Capacity: 11.36 GB (11,363,418,112 bytes)
BSD Name: disk0s3

pci14e4,4353:

Type: Other Network Controller
Bus: PCI
Vendor ID: 0x14e4
Device ID: 0x4353
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x106b
Subsystem ID: 0x0093
Revision ID: 0x0001
Link Width: x1
BSD name: en1
Kext name: AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext
Version: 425.16.2
Broadcom 57765:

Name: ethernet
Type: Ethernet Controller
Vendor ID: 0x14e4
Device ID: 0x16b4
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x14e4
Subsystem ID: 0x16b4
Revision ID: 0x0000
Link Width: x1
BSD name: en0
Kext name: AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext
Firmware version: 1.20
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext
Version: 2.3.9b3

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type: GPU
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x08a4
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3546
Displays:
Display Connector:
L1753T :
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.3.5f8
Hardware Settings:
Address: 58-B0-35-80-E9-16
Manufacturer: Broadcom
Firmware Version: v20 c487
Bluetooth Power: Off
Discoverable: Yes
Vendor ID: 0x5ac
Product ID: 0x8218
HCI Version: 4 (0x4)
HCI Revision: 487 (0x1e7)
LMP Version: 4 (0x4)
LMP Subversion: 16916 (0x4214)
Requires Authentication: No
Services:
Bluetooth File Transfer:
Folder other devices can browse: ~/Public
Requires Authentication: Yes
State: Enabled
Bluetooth File Exchange:
Folder for accepted items: ~/Downloads
When other items are accepted: Ask
When PIM items are accepted: Ask
When receiving items: Prompt for each file
State: Enabled
Incoming Serial Ports:
Serial Port 1:
Name: Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
RFCOMM Channel: 3
Outgoing Serial Ports:
Serial Port 1:
Address:
Name: Bluetooth-Modem
RFCOMM Channel: 0

I would love to get FreeBSD running on the Mac Mini Server, it's a great little box.

I am experiencing the same problem on a MacBook Pro 5,3 using the FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE amd64 CD-DISC ISO.

I tried searching for this bug in FreeBSD's bug reports, but I seem unable to find it, which makes me wondering if a bug report has been submitted?

Bump

Does anyone know the proper method to get this noticed? I tried freebsd a few months ago for the first time in years and really hate having to use a linux right now..

zeroseven said:
Bump

Does anyone know the proper method to get this noticed? I tried freebsd a few months ago for the first time in years and really hate having to use a linux right now..

I dunno. I had resigned to accepting that FreeBSD will not be usable until they fix the bug, and assumed they knew about it and would work on it. But if they don't know about it, I suppose we should send it off to some mailing list. I'll try to find out what we are supposed to do...

ummon said:
I dunno. I had resigned to accepting that FreeBSD will not be usable until they fix the bug, and assumed they knew about it and would work on it. But if they don't know about it, I suppose we should send it off to some mailing list. I'll try to find out what we are supposed to do...
I have resigned to accepting that FreeBSD will never be useable on these models. The bug is in theory incredibly minor in nature, requiring a single commit revert.

And yet, after 17 months, I'm still waiting. This thread is ignored by anyone able to do anything about it and my ticket was also ignored.

Miah said:
I have resigned to accepting that FreeBSD will never be useable on these models. The bug is in theory incredibly minor in nature, requiring a single commit revert.

And yet, after 17 months, I'm still waiting. This thread is ignored by anyone able to do anything about it and my ticket was also ignored.

In that case, does anyone in this thread have a working FreeBSD? Could you just manually make the revert and build a copy of FreeBSD for us? :e

Just tried the Nov 9.0-CURRENT snapshot and it's still freezing just after the acpi probe. If you turn off acpi it still crashes earlier on.

jkim@ said:
This problem should be fixed in CURRENT as of r215703. I will MFC the fix for 8.2 before code freeze.
YEY! What about the new macbook air?
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBA31.0061.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.67f3

jkim@ said:
This problem should be fixed in CURRENT as of r215703. I will MFC the fix for 8.2 before code freeze.

This is good, I would like to try it out, which means I need a CURRENT bootable iso of some sort. Normally you could get daily snapshots from http://snapshots.us.freebsd.org but that site seems to be down. Does anyone know of another daily snapshot site?

ernie said:
I tried that site the other day, it gave me an iso with Nov 3 kernel build and not the fix.

Which version should I grab?

Is RELENG_8_1 for amd64 appropriate.

I think I tried HEAD last time.

RELENG_8 from Nov 27 or HEAD from Nov 23, I think. I have confirmed that 8.1-RELENG_8-20101201-JPSNAP and 9.0-HEAD-20101201-JPSNAP have these fixes.

jkim@ said:
RELENG_8 from Nov 27 or HEAD from Nov 23, I think. I have confirmed that 8.1-RELENG_8-20101201-JPSNAP and 9.0-HEAD-20101201-JPSNAP have these fixes.

Tried the 8.1-RELENG_8-20101202-JPSNAP CD on a new Mac Mini, it boots! However the installer can't find any hard drives to install on. This is the same problem the Linux kernels before 2.6.35 had, not talking to the MCP89 controller chip correctly. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of the problem, or how the Linux kernel solved it.

- Ernie.

ernie said:
Tried the 8.1-RELENG_8-20101202-JPSNAP CD on a new Mac Mini, it boots! However the installer can't find any hard drives to install on. This is the same problem the Linux kernels before 2.6.35 had, not talking to the MCP89 controller chip correctly. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of the problem, or how the Linux kernel solved it.

- Ernie.

I don't know much about the problem. Can you please try loading ahci.ko?

Back