Solved Ly display manager does not run

I'm trying to set up FreeBSD 13.0-i386 / JWM on a laptop with minimal settings for performance. After installing x11/ly and following the steps in pkg-message, the display manager does not start. I can't find any clues in the logs and I want to use a minimal DM, but DM anyway. Any help is welcome.

Last edited:
Well, the display manager starts but not correctly. It always showed these two lines at the top of the screen and I couldn't identify it as a the DM:

Code:
reeBSDi36(Note(tt█
loi:

Following this thread I set tty=2 to /usr/local/etc/ly/config.ini while /etc/ttys pointed to ttyv1, then the DM was shown. It can be a linuxism since ttys starts at 1 or a misunderstanding on my part. Then I cannot start with exec /usr/local/bin/jwm in ~/.xinitrc. See note about .xinitrc.

Off-topic: Anyway, the main application (web browser) thwarted my idea of making a lightweight system. www/Netsurf (gtk) loaded the web pages wrong, broke the frames and loaded half the content on the popular pages. I couldn't open the browser Preferences box looking for add-ons to check if user-agent made a difference, it just didn't open and showed no errors in the terminal. www/midori had a huge latency when loading the pages and www/surf is a mono-url application... then I ran out of ideas, if I install Firefox and add the rest of user controls such as wifi, sound... I would end up with something quite similar to a conventional desktop.

Last edited:
Back