Other LXQt and FreeBSD.

I have been following the project at a distance. I believe the project is not correctly referred to as a WM (Window Manager) but a DE (Desktop Environment). The last time I looked, the project recommended x11-wm/openbox as the window manager.

Although I like the concept of a lightweight Qt-based DE, using a GTK2-based WM defeats some of the advantages IMHO.

It might be worth it, for any newcomers who browse through these forums, to quickly explain the difference. A window manager, e.g. x11-wm/openbox, just manages the windows -- while they may have some enhancements, generally, they just give you an X environment, open windows of any GUI applications or X terminals.

A desktop environment, e.g. x11/gnome2, will have its own tools to not only open applications, but also to do things like install printers, manage sound levels, etc. For example, if running Openbox, you might install a printer using the print/cups program. If running GNOME or KDE, they will have their own printer installation and configuration tool -- it might use CUPS as a back end, but it will have its own graphic interface to use. The upside is that it can, when it works properly, simplify installation of a printer and save time. The downside is that it adds another layer than can possibly break and if something does go wrong, it will be harder to find and fix. (Printer configuration is just one example, network configuration and user management are others.)

I'm going to test this if I find someone who already had success compiling this without bigger problems. This "partial FreeBSD support" keeps me a little bit cautious, even if I'm going to install it to my test-PC.

Openbox is light and easy to configure, I've been using it for a year. I've been looking at a Qt-based DE for a while, so this is definitely an interesting release for me.

Now everything is installed, but LXQt won't start.
Code:
% startx
xauth:  file /home/oh2emd/.serverauth.12588 does not exist
What might be a problem?

I am going to deviate a little bit from the forum topic and suggest that you learn how to search for answers. If you go to a search engine like Google and enter
FreeBSD startx .serverauth does not exist
you will get multiple hits including Thread 36005 The toolbar option to "Search Forums" will find the same thread.

Learning this will not only make you more independent but will often answer your questions faster.

Thank you very much for pointing me to this search option, I've never heard of it before.But this won't help me with my problem. I still can't start X. There are no errors in Xorg.0.log and all information I got is this xauth and
Code:
xinit: connection to X server lost
Both tell me nothing about where fault might be. I know LXQt is not not supported by FreeBSD. That's why I'm asking about this here.

According to this Arch Linux wiki the command to start LxQt is startlxqt. If you can run this command in a terminal it will provide error messages.

The packages you are using are third-party packages from LxQt, they do not come from the FreeBSD binary package repository. If you want to put a lot of time into getting third-party code to run on FreeBSD, you would be better served by joining the mailing list.

Four years have passed...

I have tried out LXQt on my FreeBSD laptop. Its support is still not complete (not all needed packages are in ports and packages; compilation from GitHub repository was that one adventure, I have submitted multiple pull requests to fix some FreeBSD-specific building problems), but it is working relatively well (excluding some inevitable core dumps, but that’s something to be really looked into). I am using Openbox as the window manager.

Back