UFS Luckybackup script

New user.

What are the steps involved to make a luckybackup automated script file for a crontab operation, given the optional information provided with a manual backup?

What type of file is a script file (*.txt or *.exe or other)?

Thank You.

Are you in the wrong forum?
I don't think so, but maybe that's a moot point! I'm using it manually in FreeBSD 11.3 (I grant that *.exe was proposed in the wrong o/s context).

However,I suggest that the program I am using is compatible with many linux & unix distributions/os's. So, in the first instance, I'm hoping that someone using fbsd may have the answers, before I need to seek an answer from outside these forums. If you are saying this could be an internal moderation issue I will no doubt hear if your question is valid.

Otherwise, do you have a contribution to make?

What type of file is a script file (*.txt or *.exe or other)?
In UNIX, file types are not tied to extensions (unlike in Windows). The names of script files can have arbitrary extensions, or no extension at all. Some people name their scripts after the scripting language they're written in, e.g. *.sh for shell scripts and *.pl for perl scripts, and so on. Personally I don't use any extensions for most of my scripts because it's superfluous. And I think it looks ugly, like 30 years old MS-DOS.

PS: Most scripts that come with the FreeBSD base system have no extension. See for example:
file /usr/*bin/* | grep script

luckybackup has a facility to perform scheduled (cron) backups: Profiles -> Schedule.
Thanks I see that, however my questions were more basic than that, such as;
1) Is there a native fbsd scripting methodology as opposed to python or perl?
2) which is the easiest to learn, subject to any caveats?
3) are there types of scripting other than for shells?
4)what text book, if any, would you recommend for a scripting beginner, subject to your particular preference(s)
Thanks.

Thanks I see that, however my questions were more basic than that, such as;
1) Is there a native fbsd scripting methodology as opposed to python or perl?
2) which is the easiest to learn, subject to any caveats?
3) are there types of scripting other than for shells?
4)what text book, if any, would you recommend for a scripting beginner, subject to your particular preference(s)
Thanks.
1.) Yes, Bourne shell.
2.) Python is relatively easy, perl is a horrendous mess (IMO), and the shells are of personal preference.
3.) Yes, interpreted languages, that include python and perl.
4.) Dunno. How about learning more of python, sh or bash?

Back