• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved LSI 9201-16e and FreeBSD 11?

recluce

I have to replace a failing SAS HBA and found a great deal on the LSI 9201-16. Vendor driver support only seems to go up to FreeBSD 10.0 for this card and I did not find it on the list of supported disk controllers for FreeBSD 11.

My question now: does anybody have this HBA running on 10.4 or, better, on 11.1? Will the 10.0 driver work in 11.x?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Don't use the driver from their site, support should already be built-in. Not sure which one you need though, there's a bunch of LSI drivers; mfi(4), mrsas(4), mpr(4), mps(4), mpt(4), sym(4).

recluce

Thank you for the answers!

I ordered one now and it seems that there is a fire sale on these, at least in North America. Various sellers offer these cards (new) as low as CAD 61.75 (including shipping in Canada), I have seen them on ebay as well, for around $30 (US) plus shipping - again for a new card.

Wonder what is going on here, maybe a massive overstock?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

These cards typically cost around 200-300 euro. I think I bought my LSI 9207-8i for 235 euro. But beware of those really cheap ones, I've heard some rumors they're actually cheap Chinese knock-offs. But for 25-30 euro they're cheap enough to give it a try. You won't lose too much money if they turned out to be bogus.

recluce

Interesting. I bought through Amazon marketplace, so I should be somewhat protected. Card is not shipped from China, at least. Is there any way to check if the card is legitimate or not?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Is there any way to check if the card is legitimate or not?
To be honest I'm not sure, the Chinese tend to be really good at imitating things and mass producing them.

recluce

I will report back once I get the card (shipping will take at least a week). Some google-fu gave a little insight on how to recognize at least some of the fakes (not all "strange" cards are fakes, due to a lot of OEM deals by LSI). I will run the card with a test pool of old drives with no valuable data and see what the performance and stability looks like.

What baffles me: why would anybody counterfeit a card this old? I mean, they could just as well fake something more desirable / newer.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

What baffles me: why would anybody counterfeit a card this old?
It might be an older card it's still quite popular. And people may be looking for a replacement of an OEM labeled device that burned out. If the OEM can't (or won't) supply a replacement card people will start looking for alternatives. It's generally cheaper to buy a rebranded card than having to replace the whole server. So from a business point of view it's actually quite smart to produce new cards based on old designs, there's definitely a market for it.

recluce

The card finally arrived. I could not test it so far (out of country at the moment), but I had some photos taken. So I would like to ask anybody with experience regarding LSI cards in general and the LSI 9201-16e in particular if this card looks genuine to them.

Note: I blackened out part of the serial number and the SAS address, just in case that the FreeBSD forum is read by some weirdos.

https://imgur.com/a/x4lbS

https://imgur.com/a/XAPWe

Embedding pictures into my post did not work for me (design or bug?), hence the links only. All feedback appreciated.

Eric A. Borisch

The card finally arrived. I could not test it so far (out of country at the moment), but I had some photos taken. So I would like to ask anybody with experience regarding LSI cards in general and the LSI 9201-16e in particular if this card looks genuine to them.

Note: I blackened out part of the serial number and the SAS address, just in case that the FreeBSD forum is read by some weirdos.

https://imgur.com/a/x4lbS

https://imgur.com/a/XAPWe
For reference: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118147

recluce

Thank you. I did not see any noticable difference between my card and the Newegg pictures, which is good, I guess.

recluce

Final follow-up: card was installed and works extremely well with my 45-bay Supermicro JBOD. Transfer speeds are near the theoretical limit for a 6 GBit/s SAS channel. Also tested it with multiple JBODs and up to 32 active disk drives. The system has been rock-stable for the two weeks since I installed the card. Still unbelievable that the card was just 60 bucks...