Looking forward to FreeBSD Package Base!

Are you aware FreeBSD's roots are in UNIX and once contained UNIX code? Are you aware FreeBSD's core values are the UNIX philosophy? Obviously you aren't.
It's nonsense that easier management is the direction of the operating system. It's a waste of life to upgrade the kernel to a long compilation.

It's nonsense that easier management is the direction of the operating system. It's a waste of life to upgrade the kernel to a long compilation.

You don't need a "long compilation" if you're using a RELEASE kernel. And I think most linux distributions will do the same unless (I'm not aware of) some obscure linux distribution that gives you a binary kernel from HEAD daily.

Ok, you only miss what SIMPLE mean.
Do one thing and do it well.

Merging two tools is not simple. It is neither elegant.
Freebsd-update is a good tool, simple, elegant, with a clear scope and so on.
Pkg is in that philosophy too.
Merging this two simple, easy to use tool into one with more options, more steps (need I a reboot and relaunch the tools to finish my upgrade ?) and a not well defined scope is not SIMPLE, not the Unix way.
I know in the Linux world, SystemD need to do all things. Ubuntu want to package all update in the same way and so on.
But the result is not simple. The emerging tool seems to be simple, (one click), but who really undestood what a major update in Ubuntu will do ? It always break my system for information. And I never know why.
(The list of things installed in a Xubuntu linux is huge...)

Ok, you only miss what SIMPLE mean.
Do one thing and do it well.

Merging two tools is not simple. It is neither elegant.
Freebsd-update is a good tool, simple, elegant, with a clear scope and so on.
Pkg is in that philosophy too.
Merging this two simple, easy to use tool into one with more options, more steps (need I a reboot and relaunch the tools to finish my upgrade ?) and a not well defined scope is not SIMPLE, not the Unix way.
I know in the Linux world, SystemD need to do all things. Ubuntu want to package all update in the same way and so on.
But the result is not simple. The emerging tool seems to be simple, (one click), but who really undestood what a major update in Ubuntu will do ? It always break my system for information. And I never know why.
(The list of things installed in a Xubuntu linux is huge...)
How to use freebsd-update to upgrade kernel on FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT ?

I'have no problem with Linux,but its another case of "I'want to convert FreeBSD into a Linux and syste#@ because FreeBSD make no sense and is old,ugly..etc..etc..to me"
Indeed there is Debian/kFreeBSD, Gentoo/kFreeBSD and ArchBSD (now PacBSD). All of them are defunct.

How to use freebsd-update to upgrade kernel on FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT ?
Maybe impossible? I have never use current and I think freebsd-update can only upgrade between released versions.

Back