jails Looking for a good current getting started with jails tutorial

Wanting to get the hang of classic jails before using a jail manager, I found it helpful to cherry-pick examples from FreeBSD Mastery: Jails (Lucas) and the FreeBSD Handbook, implementing them with Ansible playbooks, as Albert Dengg demonstrated in a presentation at BSDCan 2019. Though incredibly time-consuming, it's taught me to appreciate what all needs to go right in order for jails to work, while leaving me with a repeatable process I can use to deploy more jails.

For what it's worth, Chapters 7 ("The Network") and 8 ("Configuring the Network") in Lucas's Absolute FreeBSD were extremely helpful refreshers that got me through networking issues I was having with my first few jails.

dear all :
any one have jail pdf books ? we can't buy some freebsd books in china . thanks. wish some one share pdf books ...thanks.

Ummm... if you want something that's actually up to date, and available in PDF format, the Handbook (which is linked to at the very top of this page, under the Documentation menu) is your best option.

And yeah, the Handbook is way more up to date than books published on paper...

dear all :
any one have jail pdf books ? we can't buy some freebsd books in china . thanks. wish some one share pdf books ...thanks.

These two books are available in few formats actually PDF included.
This contains epub, PDF, and mobi (kindle) versions, DRM-free.
Includes: mobi, ePub, PDF, plain text, and source code.

I just untar base.txz from,
Then i add :
/etc/jail.conf
Code:
path = "/jails/$name";
host.hostname = "$name";
exec.start = "/bin/sh /etc/rc";
exec.stop = "/bin/sh /etc/rc.shutdown";
exec.clean;
persist;
ip4 = inherit;
ip6 = inherit;
mount.devfs;
mount.fdescfs;
allow.mlock;
allow.mount;
allow.mount.devfs;
allow.mount.fdescfs;
allow.mount.nullfs;
allow.mount.tmpfs;
allow.mount.procfs;
allow.mount.zfs;
enforce_statfs=1;
children.max=100;
allow.socket_af;
allow.raw_sockets;
allow.chflags;
allow.sysvipc;
a {
devfs_ruleset="20";
}
Done

These two books are available in few formats actually PDF included.

Dear gotnull:
i can't buy the pdf book because we can't pay USD in internet. we can't hold USD bank account. chinese people don't have usd in bank. thanks very much. that is why i ask need pdf free book. thanks.

Dear gotnull:
i can't buy the pdf book because we can't pay USD in internet. we can't hold USD bank account. chinese people don't have usd in bank. thanks very much. that is why i ask need pdf free book. thanks.
The Handbook is available as a PDF, free download... and it's gonna be more up-to-date than stuff you pay for. And it should be perfectly available in China. If you can reach the Forums, the Handbook should be reachable, as well.

The Handbook is available as a PDF, free download... and it's gonna be more up-to-date than stuff you pay for. And it should be perfectly available in China. If you can reach the Forums, the Handbook should be reachable, as well.
dear astyle:
i don't find any link to download this pdf book . can you show me the donwload link ? thanks.

dear astyle:
i don't find any link to download this pdf book . can you show me the donwload link ? thanks.
Look carefully....
1711973227687.png

Dear gotnull:
You don't need a USD bank account, in both cases Paypal (which is available in China, I've checked) is the payment method, the only thing you need is a bank account.

That being said if for some reasons you don't want to or can't spend money on books, since the handbook has been updated it is the right way to study jails.

There are several blog posts over the internet that are also very helpful, explanations and approaches may vary and that is a good thing.
IMO few of those articles could be in the FreeBSD Wiki:

i don't find any link to download this pdf book . can you show me the donwload link ?
It is also available as pkg.
pkg install en-freebsd-doc
pkg info -l en-freebsd-doc | grep handbook/handbook
/usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/en/books/handbook/handbook_en.pdf
There is also a Chinese version, but I am not sure if it is up-to-date.
zh_cn-freebsd-doc, zh_tw-freebsd-doc

You don't need a USD bank account, in both cases Paypal (which is available in China, I've checked) is the payment method, the only thing you need is a bank account.

That being said if for some reasons you don't want to or can't spend money on books, since the handbook has been updated it is the right way to study jails.

There are several blog posts over the internet that are also very helpful, explanations and approaches may vary and that is a good thing.
IMO few of those articles could be in the FreeBSD Wiki:
Dear gotnull;
thanks so much . i have donwload freebsd manual book by some one help me. and your link is very good. i don;t have paypal , thanks for your share links. thanks.

It is also available as pkg.
pkg install en-freebsd-doc
pkg info -l en-freebsd-doc | grep handbook/handbook
/usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/en/books/handbook/handbook_en.pdf
There is also a Chinese version, but I am not sure if it is up-to-date.
zh_cn-freebsd-doc, zh_tw-freebsd-doc
thanks,. i have got handbook with web link by some body help. thanks.

Back