Solved List of FreeBSD homed development projects

Is there a reasonably up-to-date list of active projects that are developed in a FreeBSD environment, or that target a FreeeBSD environment, or targets FreeBSD users?

I am pretty immersed in the FreeBSD world in terms of being an active user and having a server or two running year after year after year. I'm looking for a project to get involved in that is 1) understandable to a decent programmer, 2) open to newcomers 3) is actively developed, and 4) fits the FreeBSD criteria above. The reason for the FreeBSD criteria is that I'm not terribly interested in splitting time trying to understand differences between FreeBSD way of doing X and Whoever's way of doing X. I'm not ready to tackle anything kernel related - I tried working through McKusick's book and found it very difficult. However, I can usually code application level stuff in a good dozen different languages and can manage system level stuff, too, but I'm really struggling to find a starting place.

Will

There's KDE on FreeBSD... Try connecting with Adriaan deGroot, he's active on email lists for FreeBSD. The door's open, just subscribe to the email lists, set up your dev environment, and off you go. FreeBSD also has some projects on Google Summer of Code. Oh, Zirias is another name I can think of who you might ping for questions. But you do need skills to be an actual contributor: git, patches, memprof, truckloads of testing that may or may not make sense to you... To get started, I'd suggest that you look for 'Contribute!' pages on project sites, compile a few things yourself, start working with github.
--
I know enough to know the door's open, but getting my own dev machine set up properly is a LOT of work. And, you gotta have something to show others - gotta prove that you're worth your salt.

Come to think of it, you can just pick a port, and become a maintainer.
Where's my OMG face button? I thought about putting in a "anything but a maintainer" clause, but somehow cut and pasted it away. Anything but a maintainer... kernel developer... device driver writer... :) Something low impact, like walking rather than running, swimming in a lazy river rather than olympic pool laps, that sorta thing.

Where's my OMG face button? I thought about putting in a "anything but a maintainer" clause, but somehow cut and pasted it away. Anything but a maintainer... kernel developer... device driver writer... :) Something low impact, like walking rather than running, swimming in a lazy river rather than olympic pool laps, that sorta thing.
You don't need to become a maintainer to be a contributor to ports. There are always plenty of ports needing update, with and without a maintainer.

Ports are the most obvious thing to get started. As rigoletto@ pointed out, you don't need to be a maintainer to be a contributor. But I'd like to add that even to be a contributor, you have to understand how the dev process works, what tools you're supposed to be proficient in (and this goes well beyond being familiar with the API provided by your language of choice), and to be able to set up your own dev machine end to end. I'm sorry, decuser , but it really sounds like you want to have the cake, and eat it, too.
--
Nobody's stopping you from taking a dive off the deep end, but you gotta know what you're getting yourself into. 😩

I figured something out to keep me busy. Thanks Beastie7 and probono for steering me to helloSystem.

Decser, allow me to say something about contributing.
Simply using it is also contributing.
Because if you would see the kernel crash you would say what is happening here.
Reporting bugs is also contributing
Helping persons on the forum to configure rc.conf is also contributing.
This because we are not all the persons who write C code and remove deadlocks from the kernel ULE scheduler, to improve the performance of it.

Back