Linux's Systemd can be pwned via an evil DNS query

Dumber out of Dumb and Dumber. The award for poor security amounts to sys admin failure ... i.e. convince a sys admin to install something they shouldn't. Paramount to just a pure dig for the sake of it. Mostly the likes of Debian welcome other choices/variations whereas the other way around is more inclined to hatred and insults.

Yours was the first mention of sysadmin failures in this thread unless I skimmed over them.

There was no hatred for Debian intended in my post. I had previously stated out of all the Linux distros I had used Debian was what I liked best. I had a Jessie box til about a month ago and tried out Stretch briefly. I also pointed out that your 10 years experience did not lump you in with n00bs and the seemingly trivial problems they encounter.

The rest was all documented fact, because when I construct an argument, facts are what I rely on as they indisputable and there is no valid retort.

Check out the Linux Questions forums for sysemD threads, you'll find plenty of them and user with anti-systemD taglines.

I have since educated myself on the subject of systemD and Lennart Pottering since ignorance of it was a shortcoming of mine

Not sure where that 10 year experience came in Trihexagonal? I moved over to Linux as a desktop setup after XP support ceased, so around 3 years ago. Knoppix was my first, along with a mountain of other CD's being burnt/tried. Settled on 101 different variants of Puppy Linux mostly - until around a year or so ago when I moved over to Debian Jessie.

In a past life however (3+ decades ago) I had experience with a very wide range of OS, from the smallest DOS/Windows Workgroups/Visual Basic ... to the largest IBM/Amdahl mainframes (Cobol, TSO. JCL ..etc.), that included some Unix, Honeywell ...etc. (mid range).

My mistake, I might have been thinking of Islamux. There have been a few new people lately and I might be wrong there, too.

I still hope you stay with FreeBSD instead of going back to Linux. I think as you become more familiar with it that it will be more to your liking

I boot using grub4dos and my corresponding menu.lst has options to boot Debian Jessie either as though a full install or as a filesystem.squashfs (read only, good for testing); FreeBSD (11.1); Puppy Tahr; Puppy Xenial; Or a Puppy Debian Stretch that I Woof-CE'd myself. Fundamentally I use a data concentric approach - value invaluable/irreplaceable data much more highly that choice of (cheap, easily replaced) OS. Primarily I've been booting Debian Jessie into a restricted userid (rbash with very limited permissions), so that browsing the web is relatively safe, only switching to higher permission accounts for local/private documents (or booting a pristine browser with no addons/extensions to do online banking etc.). That choice uses Debian main repositories only, so no third party programs at all, I'm sticking with oldstable as that gets security updates whilst having been around a long time, so relatively few updates and very solid (repository programs all work well individually and together). As I see it, alongside USB and CD boot choices, just different ways to get at the core docs/personal stuff (with some pretty heavy backing up procedures (multiple copies, offsite etc.)), and the fun of learning/hobby.

Trying to develop my knowledge of FreeBSD so booting that quite a bit recently :) Looking like it will be a keeper alongside the others. I used your installation guide as a template, but have installed everything via pkg rather than ports (no /usr/src or /usr/ports content), including nvidia-driver-340. Desktop wise I like xorg, jwm, pcmanfm as jwm takes care of the panel/tray/notifications whilst pcmanfm takes care of desktop icons and file manager. To that I add libreoffice, mpv and firefox-esr ... together with a bunch of other smaller programs (galculator, leafpad, mtpaint ...etc.). I've gone round the installation process a number of times now such that most of it is becoming easier. Your guide was a great help ... thanks. Greatly appreciated.

Alpine is what I also use on our smartOS host when I absolutely have to run Linux because of $some_reason. ;)
The lean architecture of Alpine makes it really easy and insanely fast to set up LX-Zones via ansible or even manually for testing - a small manifest file is all thats needed to get a working Linux-Zone within a few seconds. As a bonus you also get all the benefits of ZFS and DTrace through the illumos/smartOS host :cool:

RE Alpine: They are integrating ZFS too. There's a forum post on their forum that really puts the systemd thing in perspective. I don't know what the policy is on Linux links, but this one is about systemd as much as Linux, and a good over-all view for those just coming to the party ...

https://forum.alpinelinux.org/forum/general-discussion/alpine-plans-systemd

RE Alpine: They are integrating ZFS too. There's a forum post on their forum that really puts the systemd thing in perspective. I don't know what the policy is on Linux links, but this one is about systemd as much as Linux, and a good over-all view for those just coming to the party ...

https://forum.alpinelinux.org/forum/general-discussion/alpine-plans-systemd

I've used ZoL on debian/devuan and really have no intention in going that way ever again especially on VMs or servers in general which are supposed to be as much automated as possible, especially when it comes to deployment and configuration. ZoL involves way too much obstacles and manual intervention and the linux/alpine VMs are few in numbers, so there would be no benefit in taking that course instead of just using zvols and doing all the snapshotting/replication/backups directly via the host. This keeps the VMs as simple as possible as well as the backup infrastructure (AMANDA) which only has to access a minimum number of systems.

If one day native ZFS images for alpine on smartOS are available and delegation to LX-zones is implemented I'd be happy to use it - until then i'll stick to KISS.

Back