Linux is better than FreeBSD...

...in zero ways. How atrocious is this? Corps are backing a Linux distro Omarchy instead of FreeBSD - it's revolting. They just. don't. get it. do they?

Look at that, they even have an Omacom Foundation to develop Omarchy as just another flop. It's better than Redhat, but Omarchy is better than FreeBSD in zero ways. I mean, can you just even imagine doing any serious work on Linux? It should be called Looney-x.

 
If Elon Musk and SpaceXAI were going to back any Linux distro, it seems obvious they’d back Omarchy.

Today it was announced that SpaceXAI would be joining the Omacom Foundation, which oversees Omarchy,
as a Founding Corporate Patron and donating $1.5 million worth of Grok tokens to David Heinemeier Hansson’s Linux project.

Elon Musk is donating $1.5 million worth of Grok tokens to Omarchy

Whats the betting that grok inserts sections of Mein Kampf into the man pages
 
I laughed when I saw the thread title. I guess you're looking to start an argument. Or, if you want to avoid people coming to the thread to argue, maybe add "Not" to your title. But honestly, I don't know if there's a way to objectively rate it. If Linux deals with your wireless card better than FreeBSD, Linux might be better for you. I do remember years ago, reading a line from a discussion about mutt vs. pine, before pine became alpine, and someone wrote, (I'm paraphrasing, I don't remember the exact quote), People will pull out all sorts of technical reasons to justify what is, in the end, an emotional decision.

EDIT: I see Musk is involved. That alone should put up a red flag, unless you're one of his fans.
 
Isn't this one of those too offtopic topics?

Anyways, Linux absolutely isn't any better. I happen to use both FreeBSD and Linux, but the whole notion that Linux is better is questionable. I like both of them for different things and on the whole it's a matter of personal preference and software availability.
 
Gonna be that guy: I can come up with context in which Linux can be better than FreeBSD. Heck, I'll do you one more: I can come up with setups in which Windows can be better than either of these too.

Here's my problem with all that though: this was never a competition in the first place.

Sorry for going maybe a wee bit offtopic (!) BUT... I lived OS/2 back in the days; and I see parallels. OS/2 could support Windows 3.x natively back then, FreeBSD today has a solid Linux stack (referring to linux.ko & linux64.ko). If Linux is so bad... why do "we" support it? :-/

That mentality of "we" vs. "them" ... that's a short minded path to self destruction. And I'm with Howard on this one....
 
Well ... a few of us were daily using *BSD and AT&T operating systems LLLOOONNNNGGG before there even was a Linux operating system

Comparisons of this sort are pretty odd, I have never found *BSD, AT&T Unix and Linux to be comparable ? Linux mostly "acquired" everything that was in other existing operating systems (Minix, AT&T, *BSD, etc) and "won" the Unix Wars. Today you can do a lot of "different" things on Linux, but you can also do a lot of "different" things on the *BSD's, etc

I think it is VERY GOOD that Linux won the Unix Wars, that was a strange time during the Old Republic...
 
I've always been a *BSD user as well. You (former) linux people make too many weird statements/arguments like "better" which I don't understand.

When I started playing: I found a BSD and a Linux on the internet. the BSD had a user manual and the Linux didn't. I installed NetBSD.
 
Back
Top