Other Linux/FreeBSD storage interaction

Hi,

I'd like to pick a filesystem for my external SSD disk to move files between FreeBSD 13.1 and Linux machines. (no networking possible)
Which filesystem would you pick? E.g. exfat works but I'd like something more mature retaining attributes and such. ext2? something else?

Yeah, that's one candidate but it's a pain on Linux, because it needs to be rebuilt for each kernel iteration. I use zfs-dkms on Linux but was wondering if anything else than ZFS could do quite well. Don't need any complex features though.

I tried EXT2 but was not convinced by its speed, transferring small files is fine but with big ones it's a real pain.
Fortunately I switched to NFS way more convenient, but in your case without network you do not have many solution left.
If you choose EXT2, before transferring a big file you could try to create an archive containing your file/s , and then split it into small parts using the split command.

If you get bored I wouldn't mind a simple performance tests between the different ext2/3/4 implementations we have in ports.

sysutils/fusefs-ext2
sysutils/e2fsprogs-core

How good is XFS on FreeBSD? I found a document on the performance of this system when I hit a wall in Linux. It seems to be faster and works better with small files. I will try to find it.

EDIT: Ouch! It wasn't very far, I think it was this one. I was trying to avoid the bottleneck of asynchronous I/O.
  • Ability to support a large number of concurrent operations

I've tested it on the Linux desktop for a few weeks and I can't offer any factual conclusions.

Wimpress said:
I’ve used XFS for a long time since it doesn’t get bogged down like Ext4 does when the system is under load.

How good is XFS on FreeBSD?

I didn't try myself but from the readings above it looks like a meh adventure.

Working for me too, but very slow. It's faster for me to just mount it on a Linux system and then rsync over the network.

XFS support was already dropped completely in FreeBSD 10.
If you really must access the same partition from several systems, the minimal common denominator would be (ex)fat. With Linux, ext2/3/4 might also be an option. Or, of course, OpenZFS (with FreeBSD 13).

So from now issuing ANY command that would try to read from this filesystem permanently hung this session/system and is not responding.
Partition is OK. I can mount and use it under Linux.
xfs-repair under Linux does not detect any issues.

⚠️🤷‍♂️

Ext2fs have a pretty decent performance. LKLFUSE supports more filesystems but is way slower and also have their own issues, not sure if there's an advantage for using it instead of ext2fs if you just need access to an ext4 filesystem.

+1, ext2/ext3/ext4 work fine through ext2fs(5) and is what I typically use for USB sticks meant to be used on FreeBSD and Linux machines.

sysutils/fusefs-lkl is really broken in my experience (see PR 265202) and I would avoid it as much as possible.

UFS2 is another option if you only need to move files from FreeBSD to Linux but not the other way. Linux can mount UFS2 read-only by default. You can get write support if you build a custom kernel (or if you use openSUSE, which enables it by default in its kernels) but it's experimental and probably less reliable than the FreeBSD ext2fs driver.

Back