Solved XFS support

I need to transfer data from two external HDDs created on Red Hat to FreeBSD file server.

Code:
geom disk list

and

Code:
gpart show device

Have no problem seeing the partitions. However it looks like XFS module has being removed. Can somebody confirm this? I see FUSE module for XFS

https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/fusefs-lkl/

Anybody has any experience with it? What are my other options short of adding a Linux server just to read the data?

I just tested this myself on FreeBSD 11.1 and it's working like a charm. The steps I took was these:
  1. Install fusefs-lkl with pkg install fusefs-lkl
  2. Load the fuse kernel module with kldload fuse
    1. Optionally add fuse_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf
  3. Mount the drive with lklfuse -o type=xfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt (change da0s1 to your own drive)

I just tested this myself on FreeBSD 11.1 and it's working like a charm. The steps I took was these:
  3. Mount the drive with lklfuse -o type=xfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt (change da0s1 to your own drive)
I just checked this on the freshly installed 11.1-release-p4. Works like a charm! Thank you so much!!! After executing command
Code:
 lklfuse -o type=xfs /dev/da0p1 /mnt
I have no problems accessing my data.
I would suggest to people to use command
Code:
 gpart show -p /dev/da0
to make sure they have the right provider. s after da0 sounded fishy as Linux is confused about the meaning of slices and partitions. Actually Linux is oblivious to BSD partitions. Sure enough it was not s but p.

Working for me too, but very slow. It's faster for me to just mount it on a Linux system and then rsync over the network.

• Thanks
Reactions: veg
Seems to work on 13.2 as well, just that 'fuse' seems to be called 'fusefs' now, so it's kldload fusefs. In /etc/rc.conf I added it to my kld_list: kld_list="i915kms fusefs" and that seems to work.

Last edited:
Seems to work on 13.2 as well, just that 'fuse' seems to be called 'fusefs' now, so it's kldload fusefs. In /etc/rc.conf I added it to my kld_list: kld_list="i915kms fusefs" and that seems to work.
Does it actually work? lklfuse command seems to mount, at least no errors are shown, by every attempt to ls a mounted directory seems to hang forever (although I haven't waited for such a long time).

If the question is why use XFS, it's the default in RedHat and clones. It has some good points for Linux server systems. So, especially if sharing a partition with FreeBSD was an afterthought, it's quite likely any RH, CentOS, or RockyLinux system will have it as a default.

If the question is why use XFS, it's the default in RedHat and clones. It has some good points for Linux server systems. So, especially if sharing a partition with FreeBSD was an afterthought, it's quite likely any RH, CentOS, or RockyLinux system will have it as a default.
You did not mention any actual features, differences from other systems. Thats what I'm asking for)

Does it actually work? lklfuse command seems to mount, at least no errors are shown, by every attempt to ls a mounted directory seems to hang forever (although I haven't waited for such a long time).
Yep, it still works perfectly fine for me.

My use-case, which I assume is relatively common: I have a dual-boot computer where I initially only had Linux, then later installed FreeBSD as well in a different partition. I have lots of documents and other files on the Linux partition which I occasionally want to access from FreeBSD.

And what is the reason abusing this fs? Why did you chose it?
I'm moving my moosefs cluster from Linux to FreeBSD. I had some issues under Linux related to H310 HBA card, and I want to check it with FreeBSD. Since XFS is recommended fs for moosefs, I need to access XFS formatted disk now. Or somehow copy the existing data to UFS. Tried to mount XFS under FreeBSD, but failed. Tried to mount UFS under Linux, but also failed (I couldn't compile ufs module with write support enabled, which is off by default). Finally, I mounted one drive on FreeBSD machine, the other on Linux, and I'm transferring data via network :)

Back