Linux-C7 get elf binary to run on other system

Hello,

I hope this is the right section for my issue, but i was not sure if it belongs here or the system general.

I have a FreeBSD VM running with linux-c7 installed and configured. There I can run my linux elf binary without any issues.
I have now setup a new VM on a different system and did the same config. So I installed linux-c7 and did setup the needed mountpoints etc. I think I did the same as on the system where it is working.

The issue I am now facing is, that when I run the exact same linux elf binary on the fresh installed system it is hanging for about 2 minutes and than gives me a segmentation fault. While hanging the system console prints "syscall get_mempolicy not implemented".

So I am now asking my self where the difference between the system is and how I can get my binary to work.
I have triple checked every setting now and did not notice any difference. Also I tried to troubleshoot the "get_mempolicy" syscall error but was not able to find any solution.

I am now looking for any ideas on what I can also check so I get the binary to run on the new vm.

What version of FreeBSD? And do you have linux_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf?

The working vm. Is an outdated 12.1 if i remember correctly.
For the new VM i tested 12.1 and 13.0.

linux_enable="YES" is set on both machines and i also verified that the linux kernel modules are loaded

The syscall is a kernel function and I would expect 13.0 to support the same or more than what linux(4) would support on 12.1. So I think that error might be a red herring. But maybe there's a difference in the configuration of the VM itself?

Also check /etc/sysctl.conf and /boot/loader.conf. Look for compat.linux.osrelease, maybe that's been set to a specific version. Also verify if you have the same linux-c7-* ports/packages installed.

So i checked everything as asked. There is no specific version defined in sysctl or loader.conf
The working vm is running 12.1-RELEASE-p8
I also setup a new clean VM with 13.0 and checked everything again. All linux-c7 packages are installed the same

13.0 has a slightly newer version of "centos-release"
But i still get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" with a "syscall get_mempolicy not implemented"
Ofcourse i used brandelf for the binary before running it.

The working vm is running 12.1-RELEASE-p8
I also setup a new clean VM with 13.0 and checked everything again. All linux-c7 packages are installed the same
That's not what I meant, your VM software sets up VM with a certain configuration, you should verify if that's the same, i.e. using the same virtual hardware settings.

13.0 has a slightly newer version of "centos-release"
All versions of FreeBSD use the same ports tree. There is no version difference of ports/packages between versions of FreeBSD.

That's not what I meant, your VM software sets up VM with a certain configuration, you should verify if that's the same, i.e. using the same virtual hardware settings.
Sorry for the missleading answer. I just tought i give it a try with a fresh install as i maybe debugged the old one to death.
Both VMs run on VMware workstation.
The working one uses VM Version 8
The new one VM Version 12
So i dont think this should make any difference to use a more recent VM "Hardware" generation.

All versions of FreeBSD use the same ports tree. There is no version difference of ports/packages between versions of FreeBSD.
doing a cat /compat/linux/etc/centos-release gives me to different versions.
On the working one i get 7.8.2003
on the new one i get 7.9.2009

But this could be my fault as i didnt patch the working one for a while

The working one uses VM Version 8
The new one VM Version 12
So i dont think this should make any difference to use a more recent VM "Hardware" generation.
It does.

doing a cat /compat/linux/etc/centos-release gives me to different versions.
Yes, that's just because you haven't updated your packages on that 12.1 machine (which you can't do any more because 12.1 is EoL).

So should i give it a try using the old VM generation hardware ?
These VMs are at the moment my testing / staging env. In production this should be running primary on bare metal servers or sometimes on vmware esxi.
So i am trying to get this working "in general"

Yes, that's just because you haven't updated your packages on that 12.1 machine (which you can't do any more because 12.1 is EoL).

Yes i know. I would first need to do an freebsd-update to a supported version and then update my linux-c7. I just forgot about updating as this machine was sitting on my pc and was not used some time ago.

I believe that VMWare hardware version difference is the key here. That get_mempolicy() is a kernel call for NUMA, I don't think that "old" hardware 8 version supports that. So it'll probably not get called at all.

So i now did a fresh install of freebsd 13.0 with a vm hardware version 8. It is still the same issue. Ich also checked that linux-c7-numactl-libs are installed, but this does not help.
The vm is now the exact same as the working one. 1 CPU Socket with 2 vCores on Vm version 8

So i was also wondering, because i tought numa is only required when having multiple CPU Sockets.

Back