Linus Torvalds defends his right to shame Linux kernel developers

First and foremost, thank to all very much for your honest opinions. It's definitely, a problem that the Programming Community has, and therefore, could not be avoided (this must change). In fact, worst of all is the amount of inflammatory messages and threats that she is getting and also back to see this situation reproduced in the near future. Surely, what we would like is that this don't be so :)

throAU said:
His tree.
His rules.

Don't like it? Fork. Prove he is wrong by doing better.

Not saying I agree with his methods entirely (or not). But how he leads his own project is his perogitive. Thus far, since 1991 his track record in terms of shipping code is pretty good. This behavior by Linus is not new. He's been pretty arrogant since 1991, just look up his thread with Tannenbaum - his professor whilst still a student.

I agree. It's his project and the world has enough political correctness as it is, we really don't need any more.

In that link about Inflammatory Messages #1, I fail to see how that is considered a threat. Someone show me please.

zspider said:
In that link about Inflammatory Messages #1, I fail to see how that is considered a threat. Someone show me please.

Sorry for the misunderstanding ;)

As clarification: I omitted the literal Sharp's statement "...Violence, whether it be physical intimidation, verbal threats or verbal abuse is not acceptable..." that she wrote. I wanted to highlight what she considers and interprets about those messages.

Awake and bored, so also responding to 4 year old thread. Apparently, Mr. Jobs was even more of a bully. He would stop someone, say what do you do here, and if they didn't give an answer he liked, fire them. As Apple engineers are and were probably well paid, a much bigger deal.
Sad to say, some studies show that bullies are often happier than the rest of us. I guess it's pleasure in dominance. I have worked for people who did seem to delight in it.

And well, the 'caving in' which I hinted at years ago is already somewhat happening. After his last rant where he called Google developers stupid morons (or something close enough) he followed up on that a few days later by apologizing. Makes you wonder what happened behind the scenes :)

Sad to say, some studies show that bullies are often happier than the rest of us. I guess it's pleasure in dominance. I have worked for people who did seem to delight in it.
This is the nature of the narcissistic psychopath personality. The lack of empathy makes them unencumbered from moral qualms. And their self-righteousness makes them feeling all things justified that they do to others, there is no reflection.
And well, the 'caving in' ...
...is a thing psychopaths do only when they perceive something a real threat to their power. Usually by other power...

Awake and bored, so also responding to 4 year old thread. Apparently, Mr. Jobs was even more of a bully. He would stop someone, say what do you do here, and if they didn't give an answer he liked, fire them.
From what I remember of the movie, also realizing movies are usually factually incorrect, Steve Jobs was mean, and liked to cut corners in bargaining. Perhaps Linus is just an arrogant brat, and not as cruel as Jobs.
That's a cheap substitute, not real happiness. Perhaps they are satisfied for a few moments, but that's called compensating, and what many of us call sad. It is also not very sustainable. I bet whoever did those studies had a bias to justify their own behavior, or they had Stockholm syndrome to justify someone else's behavior.

So I take it, Linus is more of a self-centered brat than Steve Jobs was.

(responding to years old thread)
And what about Bill Gates?
bill-gates-2-raw.jpg

And what about Bill Gates?
What about him?

I started to mention him, then I deleted what I said. It was along the lines of, while if anyone was deserving of being undermined by Bill Gates, it was Linus Torvalds. But then again, saying so would undermine anyone's achievement, which is wrong. I guess no matter how much of a piece of crap someone is, doesn't mean they deserve to have their good contributions taken from them or undermined. In the case of Linus, he still got his deserved recognition for his work, but was undermined financially by Gates.

Linus Torvalds, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are on different parts of the jerk spectrum.

Bill Gates is a cheater, which is abusive, but he is not known for being verbally rude or verbally condescending like Jobs or Linus. It was more of, he undermined people to cheat, not to feed his emotions, except for his ego that had to do with what a dork like him could get. Bill Gates had emotional control, which is what helped him cheat.

I think we collectively know enough about those three silly characters.

Actually, though he now seems to be trying to redeem himself with charity, he was also known as pretty bad to work for. (Of course, this is stuff from the Internet with no independent verification). I remember one story, a coder said how one wouldgo into this office and start explaining something and he would seem to ignore them. Then he'd look up and say, That's the stupidest f******* thing I've ever heard at Microsoft. This was allegedly fairly typical behavior.

Actually, though he now seems to be trying to redeem himself with charity, he was also known as pretty bad to work for.
It seems like it, but I'm not really sure why he compensates by donating to charity. I think it's more of an ego thing, more than redeeming himself. Or maybe he intended from the beginning to rip people off, to establish himself in a position to give so much to charity. I don't understand the dork.
(Of course, this is stuff from the Internet with no independent verification). I remember one story, a coder said how one wouldgo into this office and start explaining something and he would seem to ignore them. Then he'd look up and say, That's the stupidest f******* thing I've ever heard at Microsoft. This was allegedly fairly typical behavior.
I guess talking to Bill Gates was the stupid part. He probably used his ideas.

Back