Solved libfm-extra-1.2.3 conflicts with libfm-1.2.2.1

While updating my ports today I ran into this:
Code:
[...]
===> Starting check for runtime dependencies
===> Gathering dependency list for x11/libfm-extra from ports
===> Dependency check complete for x11/libfm-extra

===> All >> libfm-1.2.2.1 >> menu-cache-0.5.1_2 >> x11/libfm-extra (6/7)

===> Installing for libfm-extra-1.2.3
===> Checking if libfm-extra already installed
===> Registering installation for libfm-extra-1.2.3 as automatic
Installing libfm-extra-1.2.3...
pkg-static: libfm-extra-1.2.3 conflicts with libfm-1.2.2.1 (installs files into the same place). Problematic file: /usr/local/lib/libfm-extra.so
*** Error code 70

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/libfm-extra

===> Installation of libfm-extra-1.2.3 (x11/libfm-extra) failed
===> aborting update
[...]
Deleting libfm-1.2.2.1 with # pkg delete -f libfm and re-running # portmaster -a fixed this issue. I did not see any mention of this in /usr/ports/UPDATING. Has anyone else ran into this? I don't see any PRs filed for this but if more people are running into this I will file one if it doesn't exist yet.

While updating my ports today I ran into this:
Code:
[...]
===> Starting check for runtime dependencies
===> Gathering dependency list for x11/libfm-extra from ports
===> Dependency check complete for x11/libfm-extra

===> All >> libfm-1.2.2.1 >> menu-cache-0.5.1_2 >> x11/libfm-extra (6/7)

===> Installing for libfm-extra-1.2.3
===> Checking if libfm-extra already installed
===> Registering installation for libfm-extra-1.2.3 as automatic
Installing libfm-extra-1.2.3...
pkg-static: libfm-extra-1.2.3 conflicts with libfm-1.2.2.1 (installs files into the same place). Problematic file: /usr/local/lib/libfm-extra.so
*** Error code 70

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/libfm-extra

===> Installation of libfm-extra-1.2.3 (x11/libfm-extra) failed
===> aborting update
[...]
Deleting libfm-1.2.2.1 with # pkg delete -f libfm and re-running # portmaster -a fixed this issue. I did not see any mention of this in /usr/ports/UPDATING. Has anyone else ran into this? I don't see any PRs filed for this but if more people are running into this I will file one if it doesn't exist yet.

It's portmaster's problem. In the commit log I explicitly mentioned, why x11/libfm-extra was necessary. I know it's not obvious.

In fact x11/libfm-extra is kind of bootstrap, without this library, x11/menu-cache can't be build (and of course x11/libfm).

Thanks for the explanation. :) It does make sense, however, pardon my possible naivety but I'm not sure I understand how ports-mgmt/portmaster is at fault here as the package installation is being handed off to pkg(8) and fails at the install step.

Thanks for the explanation. :) It does make sense, however, pardon my possible naivety but I'm not sure I understand how ports-mgmt/portmaster is at fault here as the package installation is being handed off to pkg(8) and fails at the install step.

Conflicts are defined in the port Makefiles and they are not checked until pkg(8) gets involved at the package installation time. When using ports-mgmt/portmaster the port updates are installed one at a time and there is no opportunity update a set of packages like you would do with pkg upgrade, that means there are no solutions to conflicts because only a single package is being updated at a time.

Thanks kpa, that clears up a lot for me actually. With that in mind I assume then that with using ports-mgmt/poudreire for ports managment as opposed to portmaster, this kind of kink won't be an issue or at least much less so going forward.

Thanks kpa, that clears up a lot for me actually. With that in mind I assume then that with using ports-mgmt/poudreire for ports managment as opposed to portmaster, this kind of kink won't be an issue or at least much less so going forward.

It should possible to build a set of binary packages with ports-mgmt/portmaster as well and create a package repository that way and get the benefits of pkg upgrade. I just haven't tried it myself.

Edit: It actually can't do that since it will also do a make install on the port and that can not be turned off.

Edit: It actually can't do that since it will also do a make install on the port and that can not be turned off.
Yeah, I found that out the hard way when trying to be slick in attempting that last year. :)

On a separate but related note, ports-mgmt/portmaster now looks like it's been orphaned so I guess ports-mgmt/poudriere may possibly become the de facto standard in the not so distant future unless someone picks portmaster up to maintain. There is also ports-mgmt/portupgrade but I'm not sure how widely used that port is.

I'll mark this thread as solved as it is at least in reference to my issue.

Back