Learning django

Before I embark on trying to learn django, could anyone tell if I should be able to follow the following on FreeBSD?

I note that running python -m django --version gives me:-

python: Command not found.

so how do get 'python' to invoke python3.7?

so how do get 'python' to invoke python3.7?
That's a good question. However, I'd suggest renaming this thread correspondingly if you want people pay attention to the issue.
I don't know (never needed) the "official" way, but the easiest one is:
Code:
ln -s `which python3.7` ~/bin/python

I recall the django tutorial bring very good but quite odd. It is really detailed, even going through writing automated tests and CI. However it never actually progresses from using a development server which it unhelpfully warns "should not be used in production". It gives very vague details on running on existing servers.

Recently I came across a Python web app compatible (WSGI) web server written in pure Python (reducing dependencies nicely).

You might find it useful? Django apps should run on it and it is suitable for production.

I strongly advice using virtual environments to install python packages.
Pipenv is my preferred utility for creating and managing virtual environments.

Many thanks for pointing this out, I didn't realise that anyone had managed to get mailman3 working on FreeBSD. I had tried several times but never got very far. Will give it a go now.

Many thanks for pointing this out, I didn't realise that anyone had managed to get mailman3 working on FreeBSD. I had tried several times but never got very far. Will give it a go now.
I did. And I am not alone :). If you find that thread a bit overwhelming (I tried to explain a step to step procedure, but obviously focused in my servers needs), ask there and I will try to help.

Actually it might be an idea to simply post the install procedure in the Howto Forum with a title of Installation instructions for mailman3 and leave the other thread for help.

Just my opinion...

Actually it might be an idea to simply post the install procedure in the Howto Forum with a title of Installation instructions for mailman3 and leave the other thread for help.

Just my opinion...
I would have done it if someone had confirmed it has been replicated, but apart of one message saying "I will catch up later" there and yours here, there has not been any feedback. I'm not convinced it will be of enough interest or if my case would (a jailed apache 24 server with a bunch of mailman2 lists migrated to mailman3 succesfully running) apply to anyone apart me.

Back