Solved ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libtasn1.so.6: Undefined symbol "strverscmp@FBSD_1.7"

I have just installed emacs 29.1 in a jail under FreeBSD 13.1, and get the above error.

The error does not come up when running natively in the host. Am I right in thinking there is something missing in the jail?

Any hints as to where to look?

According to:

strvercmp() was added into releng/13.2 commit 27e60668bf29dc4da3409168967974e7ee3ffddc

so how come it works for me in 13.1 outside a jail?

Also, just noticed the same error occurs with emacs 28.2 in a jail...

Guess - you installed emacs on the host OS when 13.1 release was still supported. Now package builders run on 13.2 (AFAIK always last supported minor release for given major version) and when you installed emacs in the jail, you got package built on newer OS.

You installed packages that were compiled on a newer base OS than you have.

To use binary packages via pkg at this time you cannot use 13.1 anymore.

I'm doing a freebsd-update now..... Don't really like doing them as something always happens, which shouldn't. I often get a timout whilst fetching files.

Can I use the cache when updating other systems?

And what do I do with 13.1 jails? Freebsd-update? I guess it might be easier to recreate them from scratch...

After updating the base system to 13.2 and installing 13.2 jails the above mentioned error disappeared.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Back