Laptops without Ethernet ports and the issue of installing WIFI.

bob2112
Yes, that’s true, and it’s a major issue; some people think they can just dive into FreeBSD the way they tinker with Linux.
The same applies to those who don’t read the Handbook (which is quite comprehensive) and then ask questions about topics that are clearly and thoroughly explained.
 
Nobody reads any handbooks, anywhere and anyfor.

There is this joke video in the audio device community showing somebody unboxing a device and first thing dialing support while tossing the handbook aside.
 
Yeah...
Code:
# pw groupmod nobody -M astyle

I frankly recommend a cheap USB-to-ethernet adapter for OP. It will show up as ue0. This is useful not only for laptops that don't have an ethernet port, but also for recent mobos that do have an ethernet port, but the FreeBSD driver for it needs to be installed separately.
 
Yeah...
Code:
# pw groupmod nobody -M astyle

I frankly recommend a cheap USB-to-ethernet adapter for OP. It will show up as ue0. This is useful not only for laptops that don't have an ethernet port, but also for recent mobos that do have an ethernet port, but the FreeBSD driver for it needs to be installed separately.
I don't acquire machines without ethernet ports...... But we see several novice users lately that did, and try to install FreeBSD on them.
 
I don't acquire machines without ethernet ports...... But we see several novice users lately that did, and try to install FreeBSD on them.
I try not to but sometimes you wind up with one out of your control. Honestly, for $work I found it's easier to get a few accessories to keep in my toolkit just in case. I know everyone is different, but for me at least finding working dongles for different things at $50 USD or less is worth paying out of my pocket.
 
I don't acquire machines without ethernet ports...... But we see several novice users lately that did, and try to install FreeBSD on them.
I did exactly that - got a few laptops without ethernet ports, and succeeded in installing FreeBSD on them, jacked up the RAM, and installed Intel-branded wi-fi cards on them. Heck, I'm typing this on one such laptop. :P It's Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2in1 laptop with a Ryzen AI 7 445, which is still on store shelves in US for a little over $1k...
 
Back
Top